How much does Mitsuhiro Arita charge to sign a card?

Want to have him sign my cards next week and I was wondering how much he normally charges per signed card? Does he have a firm rate or does it depend on where he is, who books him etc?

Also, do you guys have any cool Mitsuhiro Arita artworks I should have him sign?

Thanks

Keep Flexin’

FlexingMachoke

2 Likes

Where are you going to get it signed?

If I were Id try getting the hypno or umbreon cards from aquapolis signed. My favorite arita arts ever

1 Like

I would assume at Pokemon Con in Norway, however, I believe that he is personalizing all cards and not doing sketches. Hopefully he will change his mind. (He also posted on social media that he might not go if he doesn’t finish other work that he has to do.)

1 Like

In London this summer he charged £5 per card at his booth. I can confirm for that event every card he signed at his booth had to be personalised to the owner and he wouldn’t sketch on the card.

However he did sign one card per person for free as part of a sponsored signing at the same event where he was allowed to do a sketch on the card. I don’t know if it will be the same in Norway.

1 Like

What is the differense between “personalizing” and sketches? All I want is a signature and maybe a drawing(sketch?) of the artwork. I will post a pic of some of the cards I already have. Want them to be like that :blush:

Yes it will be in Norway and hopefully he will be here and have a good time. I know for sure that the host is a legit dude.

It definitely changes to a degree; more so on his event sponsors/those who invite him rather than cost. At Ocala and some previous events it was $5 sig + personalised, $10 sig + personalised + sketch, $20 plain sig and finally $25 for sig with sketch. He would also do a shikishi (small, simple drawing on paper) - $50 for black and white, $150 for colour and $300 for watercolour; he may also offer commissions (around $90) and having seen him work on some in person I would be extremely tempted to get one done personally, truly out of this world and much more detailed than any of his Pokemon drawings. I have a pic from Aritas website which shows all these historic prices, definitely accurate and I know I have paid them previously.

That said I know at his most recent events in Paris and London (which I attended) he was restricted to the personalised sigs without sketch for €5/£5, as well as a free 20 min signing session with sketch due to his organisers.

In terms of choosing some cards, this site has scans of all of his currently illustrated cards which I found super useful: pkmncards.com/artist/mitsuhiro-arita/ . For me, sure impressive cards (zards, crystals etc) are nice to get done but its always been the cards with personal significance that I treasure more.

@pokemontrader, I think next weekends signing is in Norway

2 Likes

By personalizing I meant having the card addressed to you by name like the examples below. They ask you to write your name down on a piece of paper before he signs the card so he will copy the name onto the card.

The top left Charizard with the sketch was the sponsored signing but still had to be personalized.

So what I learned at worlds this year is that every artist has their own contract(s) with Pokemon. Some are allowed to take money to sign, others are only allowed to sign for free at events or in exchange for goods. Some must personalize everything they sign, others are free to do what they want. I know Arita has gotten in trouble for drawing Pokemon at non-Pokemon sanctioned events. Since they are trademarked characters. So I believe he can only sign if he personalizes the card without an illustration. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers. Now I am excited to have some of my cards signed by Arita. Picked a top 6 that I hope he will have the time to sign :grin:

Have a great day everyone!

2 Likes