How much does centering affect the grade?

It’s my first time sending off cards to get graded. I’ve always been focused on the actual condition (no scratches on the holo, no whiting on the back, clean corners) and I’m noticing some of the cards I want to send are slightly off centered, some more than others. How much does centering affect a cards grade? Can a gem mint card be slightly off centered?

60/40 is acceptable for 10. But I have some that have even worse centering and still got the 10.

PSA 10: 60/40 to 55/45 on the front 75/25 on the back.
PSA 9: 60/40 to 65/35 on the frong 90/10 on the back.
If more off centered than that it’ll get 9(oc) unless you ask them not to.

Thanks guys

Remember both the top and bottom, as well as left and right. some people forget to check if its bottom heavy or top heavy.

I have a hard time believing this. 60/40 is very OC, I’d love to see some examples.
OP, if your cards are more than 55/45 on the front, you’re most likely to get a 9 tbh. If it’s just slightly OC you should be fine. Also remember if you use bulk submissions chances are they’re not measuring the centering on each card as they’re only allowed so much time to grade your cards. That’s why I’m saying if it’s say 59/41 and otherwise absolutely flawless, they might knock it down a grade anyway even if it meets the Gem Mint criterias they have listed.

60/40 is within the PSA 10 parameters.

60/40 is according to PSA’s website.

1 Like

Yeah I know your answers you guys provided are correct, but I’ve yet to see a 60/40 Pokemon card. Maverick says he has a few that are even worse than 60/40 which I find quite hard to believe.

On PSA’s website, it even says The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25percenton the reverse.
I guess I’m just advising OP to have realistic expectations. If it’s a close call it might get a 9.

I’m glad PSA doesn’t have a strict tolerance on their standards, I’ve talked about this before, but having a strict guideline means you can’t ever make exceptions. Meaning if you have a perfect card that goes 61-39, you’re doomed to put it in PSA 9, even if the grader feels it’s worthy of a 10.

Ultimatly, the approximate line is used for the same reason cleaning supplied say kills 99.9% of germs. They just don’t want problems/lawsuit if they mess up.

2 Likes