How large was the 1st edition shadowless run?

I believe it was just the one

Print numbers have never been released

2 Likes

As mentioned by @acebren, Pokémon doesn’t have any print run for the majority of releases. Only some rare promos, like the Art Academy cards having 100 copies for example, are known.

Although WotC produced both the earlier Pokémon sets and MTG sets, they were A LOT more transparent about release numbers for the MTG for some reason.
I don’t collect MTG and barely know anything about it, but if new releases are still being printed by WotC (are they?), are there any numbers known of the newer MTG sets of recent years? Just curious.

For Pokémon however, print run numbers are unknown for almost every card or set.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

@quuador
Masaki distribution numbers were released by Pokemon. I’m most certain when this place was still called UPCCC someone posted a picture of those: Omastar had least amount of ~19k copies and Alakazam ( or Gengar ) had highest amount of ~35k copies, Golem and Machamp are naturally somewhere between them.
If anyone still has that picture please share again! :blush:

3 Likes

Note that this was not the exact number actually distributed. Any info of this nature should be taken with a grain of salt.
In regards to this thread in general…
The PSA pop report shows 2414 1st edition Charizard and 2587 Shadowless Charizards. My best estimate would be that there were 2-3X that printed at the very least. As previously stated, we really don’t know. This was a popular game right out of the gate but the same can’t be said of Magic.

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s input, I know that psa can give the total that has been graded, and of course there are people that will resubmit cards though I don’t know if they erase an old grade if it is replaced with another, buy just wanted to know if there was a ballpark idea of total printed, clearly not, that’s fine. Imagine all the 1st edition cards lost or destroyed, I only used mtg as an example because they had data and everyone here understands the parallel :wink:

I think MTG stopped releasing print numbers around fallen empires. Numbers couldn’t go any higher :wink:

There has always been conjecture for Pokémon print runs. 10,000 holos was rumored for 1st Ed base, but of course the pop report is a fraction of that number. Ultimately there isn’t a definitive answer. We are left with impressions of each set.

2 Likes