How is Pokémon Sword and Shield?

@papafrankgod, there is literally nothing you can do to change gamefreak’s direction. the national dex boycott was probably the most coordinated you will ever see the fanbase, and nothing happened. life is too short to live in misery and woe.

Overall the games are fine. I should start this out by saying my games with most hours are Omega Ruby, Black 2 and HeartGold. My complaint contradicts the majority of the community. I personally didn’t love the wild area. I’m weird I guess in the fact that I enjoy routes that have an end and a finish, but I also play them different than most people. I like to go to route 1 and collect every single Pokémon in the area, in sun and moon I spent 10 or so hours grinding for the lv 10 Salamance before I finally got it and moved on to the following route. Because of this play style the wild area absolutely destroys me. I have to say weather in a Pokémon game is a very good thing, Black 2 did it very well in my opinion. However the openness of the wild area and free roam aspect is not something I personally enjoy from Pokémon games. Most will disagree with me on this front and hope for a more open game to begin with but this is my personal two cents on the matter.

Mjisaacs

Getting competitively viable Pokemon is probably the best aspect of this game. I was lucky enough to get a 6IV Moxie, Atk+ Sp-, shiny Magikarp during an event a few months back.

Raids give out EXP candy, so you don’t have to grind your Pokemon to level 100, a chore I don’t believe anyone enjoys.

The rest of the game is pretty bland though. The story is soulless at best. I don’t think I’ll be buying the expansion any time soon. Maybe if it goes on sale.

For some reason I preferred let’s go eevee/pika to sword and shield but I think it’s a nostalgia thing. Still a great game though.

1 Like

In essence, disappointing.

In my opinion it’s a step back from Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee. And that’s a remake of Red/Blue/Yellow.

I do believe Gamefreak need to update the 25+ year old battle system from turn based to action turn based like Square Enix did with Final Fantasy 15/7 Remake. Yes it would damage the competitive scene, but it needs to evolve.

They missed an opportunity to make a huge jump like Zelda did with BotW.

The story of Sword/Shield is incredibly boring and bland, the gym leaders are uninspiring plus the world is pretty boring too. It’s probably the worst Pokémon mainline game release yet. It felt like two sperate games stick together with the wild area and the town’s. The pacing in the game was weird as well.

It’s not worth the RRP in my view.

Gamefreak do need to rip up the current engine and start again from scratch.

They also keep missing the opportunity to grow their business by incorporating the trading card game into the video games by inserting NFC into the trading cards. That and also breaking the deal they have with Mattel and going with Lego like Super Mario.

1 Like

Terrible game. Super easy and you battle the same team yell grunts like 30 times. Those grunts haunt my dreams now.

Positives: I liked what they did with the gym battle environments, felt more like a spectacle. Wild area and raid battles were fun experiments and provided some much needed relief from Gamefreak’s archaic formula. The same could be said with Dynamax, though I would have preferred a continuation of mega evolution (just personal opinion).

Negatives: The game is too easy and holds your hand. The plot is terrible. The pacing is awkward. Lackluster graphics. The map literally has two tunnels named tunnel 1 and tunnel 2, not to mention Spikemuth is one street. Rival is a pushover with no personality. Forgettable post game. No National Dex, even with the two-part DLC.

Overall, a severely underdeveloped game. But even with all those negatives, if you love Pokemon, you’ll still derive some enjoyment out of it nevertheless.

Great game overall i absolutely loved it! But the expansion Isle of armor kinda sucks honestly. My opinion thoug. Hopefully the next expansion is better

I thought the first DLC was fine, although the actual storyline, while enjoyable, was extremely short and still incredibly easy. I do think they did a better job of capturing what a “wild area” should look like. Nevertheless, the second DLC is bound to be way more hype given its extensive inclusion of legendaries.

1 Like

The grinding of a pokemon i didn’t care for up to lvl 60-70 by farming wild pokemons, running around doing raids and just being forced into this weird bear legendary with a cringy shinobi vibe was just…not for me lol I think the potential for something great was there with the old master but I didn’t like the fact you have to focus all of the dlc on that one pokemon. But that’s just me.

1 Like

I can see that. I already had a ton of EXP candy from a Mystery Gift so I didn’t have to grind leveling at all, went straight to 100 instead (which made the DLC boring in its own way). As far as the content itself, story or not, I think its biggest strength is ultimately the additional pokemon.

1 Like