How holo Pokemon cards are printed + misprints

Just put together a video on my understanding on how holo cards are printed and how to understand printing mishaps from the perspective of the printing process. I figured people here would be interested so enjoy…

38 Likes

I wonder if this could be in response to any particular thread? :thinking: No, that can’t be right…

I’ve wondered about this process since i’ve gotten back into collecting & that was super insightful and clear. Heaps of TILs

1 Like

Great video! I learned a lot and it was really interesting. Good job! :blush:

Wow! Great video

Very informative, really enjoyed that :blush:

Nice Video!

Buuut, I don’t think it makes sense that the yellow border is applied last, otherwise wouldn’t we have seen at least one example of a shifted border? afaik cards have never been “split” by the border

EDIT: Actually if Gary has a full picture of the misaligned fossil cards that might clarify when the border is added

Very well made and explained something in the hobby I never knew

Great stuff. Thanks, PFM.

For the most part, errors involving offset layers are not common. If the border wasn’t printed last, you’d expect to see the color layers on top of the left border of that shifted aerodactyl. As evidence that the border is indeed a separate layer, check out this error:

m.imgur.com/jlOr4lc

2 Likes

Great video. Thank you for unpacking the process in a very easy to understand way!

This makes me think, would a 1st edition stamp be it’s own separate additional layer or would it be applied during the solid black layer? I’m trying understand how grey stamps possibly happen on 1st ed base.

Great video, good job putting this together.

@pkmnflyingmaster , Thank you so much for the video! It was extremely well done and I learned a lot (also think you nailed every explanation).

@thundermoo , the grey stamps have always been curious. Hopefully, I have figured out how to attach images. The first picture is a crispy dark black “Thick stamp” 1st Edition under magnification and the second is a grey stamp variant. To me it appears the grey stamp has a much thinner application of the dark black ink.

Overall the 1st Edition Symbol appears to be applied as a separate application, the ink appears solid (not made up of the individual color dots). Is the stamp the last ink layer added? Is the black ink the same ink used in sharpening the other black text on the card?

Normal Thick Stamp 1st Edition:

Grey Stamp Base 1st Edition:

And just to compare, this is a 1st Edition Thin Stamp from Fossil:

1 Like

Is there a picture of the left of that aerodactyl? That would basically answer what Im wondering. I believe you on it being a separate layer, just not sure about the order.

It has already been said by everyone above me, but great video @pkmnflyingmaster! Very clearly explained, and I love the examples and how they’ve happened. Thanks for taking the time to make this!

Greetz,
Quuador

My understanding is 1st ed symbols were stamped on to 1st ed English cards after the cards were fully printed. Foreign base sets and all the following sets had the 1st ed symbol printed on, rather than stamped. Grey stamps are a result of the ink running low on the stamper.

I could be wrong so someone please correct me if that’s the case.

1 Like

This gave me 2007 youtube tutorial hypercam vibes. Thankyou

2 Likes

Great video! I really appreciate seeing you dive deep into the printing process like this. Defiantly a great tool for people who are trying to gain a deeper understanding on how misprints occur.

You’re an impressive guy and pleasant to listen to.

Saw it I liked it a lot, thanks for sharing