How do you feel about private listing on eBay?

Hey guys just curious what are you’re thoughts on
eBay listing that are labeled as private listing so you can’t see the bids

why do sellers do this?

A way to hide shii bidding?

I very much dislike it and I’m likely to not bid, or bid very conservatively.

1 Like

I was just wondering this after bidding on a bunch of psa 10 skyridge and expedition cards and wanted to see who was bidding.
I mean I don’t see much justification as a seller, but I also know that if you know certain buyers in the hobby you can match up their feedback and figure out who is buying.

I’d like to see some responses on this also.

This by chance the listings Malin had?

Yes, although I didn’t necessarily think prices were outlandish but I don’t like the thought that I could be getting shilled.

If you determine the price you are willing to pay and you enter that amount last second I don’t see it having an effect either way. If anything, I actually prefer private listings because you can remain anonymous to the public without having to switch accounts. I tried a batch of auction-style private listings one time only because I discovered how to do it that day and I didn’t notice a difference of outcome from my other auctions in the past.

1 Like

Yeah I was extremely conservative on the Umbreon that just ended because of it, I might have gone a bit higher but I can wait on E-Series tbh.

Majority of the time private bids are to hide shill bidding from the seller.

3 Likes

Seeing who the early bidders were can indicate if the auction is likely to be tampered with. This applies more to obscure cards without pricepoints. It also hides prices if auctions ended that were tampered giving a sense of market manipulation.

Yes this this thread was made because of all the reverse holo skyridge posted by malin

I do have to agree with nysyr the early bids do determine if I’m sticking around to try and purchase a piece.

Also another to find it weird is why is 2 bunch’s of skyridge reverse holos posted by different sellers but both private listing

Doesn’t matter what I (the seller) thinks - it matters what possible bidders think. The public perception of a private listing is that there’s a higher chance bids are being shilled. I wish I would have known that when I made my first round of auctions on my selling account - I think I lost a good amount of money because of it (among other things) :slightly_frowning_face:

b***b(1057) $17.50 21 Jan 2018 at 2:00:08AM PST
e***n(9) $17.00 23 Jan 2018 at 8:12:51PM PST
6***c(176) $14.00 22 Jan 2018 at 5:49:10PM PST
6***c(176) $13.00 22 Jan 2018 at 5:49:06PM PST
d***s(483) $12.00 17 Jan 2018 at 5:43:30AM PST
6***c(176) $11.00 19 Jan 2018 at 2:46:21AM PST
Starting Price $9.99 17 Jan 2018 at 5:23:53AM PST

Those look anonymous to me.

1 Like

The fact that feedback is shown makes it possible to find out who the bidder (most likely) is.

Does it though? Private listings were a thing when the names were not hidden, it serves no purpose now.

2 Likes

Just determine the price you’re willing to pay and bid. Sure, shill bidding is reprehensible but if the auction ends at a price you consider acceptable then from a consequentialist perspective, it doesn’t matter of the other bids are legitmate or not.

1 Like

It does. I’ve done it.
Anyways, my point wasn’t to argue for private listings. I agree that there isn’t a legitimate reason to make bid history any more private than it is.

1 Like