Help with scratched card - situation

I assume that whatever the card looks like online it looks a hell of a lot worse in person.
I’ve got plenty of cards that look like absolute garb in person but mint in photos.
If you are looking for the card in a certain condition purchase it graded.
If not I wouldn’t be too harsh on condition.
The seller seems to be very generous so it may be nice to forgive them for missing the damage and keep it without taking the 10% off or just return the card and hope another in better condition comes by.

3 Likes

Luckily, the seller that you’re working with does seem to be very professional and willing to work with you to resolve the situation - that’s always a huge plus!!! It’s really up to you though on how to proceed with this transaction - either return this card for a full refund or try and work-out a partial-refund between 5% and 10%. Personally, I’ve never seen the point in offering a “partial-refund” for anything - whether that be as a Buyer or Seller. If you’re satisfied with the purchase, GREAT! If Not, are you really going to be satisfied if the seller offers to knock a couple bucks off the purchase-price? That’s something only you would be able to answer; although, after reading your post it doesn’t seem like that would help much.

Without knowing what card you purchased, it’s tough… Although, you mention it’s a card that’s hardly ever available - so I am assuming it’s something rare / expensive! If the card is really that rare, are you going to be able to find a better copy for your collection anytime soon? It’s like the saying: “bird in the hand is better than two in the bush”. Basically, it’s better to have what you have than nothing at all. Depending upon the card - assuming it is something rare / expensive - I would keep that card within my collection until I am able to purchase a better copy down the line. Then, I would re-sell that card and re-coupe some money - that’s just my take though.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, like, it’s not an insanely rare, it’s the Fan Club Magikarp card, it’s just I don’t usually have enough funds (Uni Student) to purchase the PSA 9’s that seldomly show up on eBay that go for $1300, as I then I also have to pay the additional customs of 25%, so ~$1600 :confused:

Is it potentially something you can clean off? Hard to tell from the picture.

2 Likes

Unfortunately not, it seems more like scratches, or something similar than stains, which is kind of weird.

SWEET Pick-Up!!!

Personally, where we’re talking about a card that doesn’t normally become publicly available within your price-point, I would keep that card without asking for a partial-refund… The “damage” was evident within the eBay Listing - although a bit tough to see (can see your point). However, overall the card really does look GREAT (at-least according to the pictures the seller provided)!

Here’s how I see it… Despite the card having more damage than you would like, it does fit into your budget - and would make a GREAT addition into your collection! Plus, after you graduate from school and start working full-time, you’ll have much more income - AKA, be able to purchase A LOT more! Haha I’d enjoy that card for the time being and then upgrade down the road when you’re able too.

That’s how I started-out with my collection - as I am sure many other people have. Actually, I am just finishing-up my Shadowless Base HOLO Set. When I first started-out with my collection, I couldn’t justify PSA 9 Pricing for those cards, so I opted for PSA 8’s. However, I’ve now reached a point where PSA 9’s don’t seem as expensive, so I’ve been upgrading my 8’s to 9’s and listing the 8’s within my eBay Store.

You’ll have no trouble re-selling that card if / when you’re ready to sell. But for right now, I’d opt to keep the card that you have than go without one - totally your choice though!

2 Likes

I really appreciate your input, and think I’ll keep it. ^^

Love the community here, and really appreciate everyones willingness to help and come forth with their own thoughts and suggestions, without forcing them down ones throat, but with their own subjective/objective opinion behind them.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Awesome!

Glad to Help!