Help! Is this a real or fake card/psa slab?

Hey everyone! I would really appreciate some expertise and help with a card I was almost about to buy but then I had second thoughts due to a story the seller told me.

This card looks legit to me and the slab as well. But the psa holographic on the front of the slab looked a little like it was missing the shiny holo. So I asked for more photos and he provided more that showed the holographic. So I felt better, but I started asking questions about how he got the card. He told me he pulled it from a pack from his local card shop about a year ago. But if that was true, wouldn’t the slab look different and the cert # wouldn’t start with a 2.

I also looked up the cert # on psa and although the card does pull up the same on their registry, there are no pictures. Also I thought the first edition logo maybe looks a little off? But I’m new to the hobby so I am not as experienced as others so I am really looking for help to determine if this is a legit card or a fake. The seller is offering it to me for $500.

Welcome here! I agree, the card and slab both look fine to me. But you’re correct that the cert would be newer if he pulled it a year ago, the 256xxx certs were graded in early 2016.

I would exercise caution, but I probably wouldn’t break off the transaction just because of the story. However, totally up to you if you decide to avoid or not, it is strange to lie about how you got a card. If you do buy, sure you pay via a service that has buyer protection (e.g. PayPal goods & services) so that if the seller does screw you over, you can get your money back.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a legit card that was acquired through illegitimate means? That is a bizarre and obvious lie to tell.

1 Like

The card looks fine but remember that just because people have pictures of a card doesn’t mean they own the card!

If you go through with the purchase make sure you do it in a way that gives you buyer protection.

2 Likes

The lie is odd. I would just buy from someone on eBay. For that card, you’ll get the authenticity guarantee too if you’re in the U.S.

1 Like

If he was able to provide more pictures, you could ask him for a timestamped picture just to make sure he actually has the slab in hand.

Still, like all others have said, if you choose to go forward, do so with buyer’s protection.

I really appreciate all of the responses! Taking your time to respond means a lot to me. One more thing, I watched a video about how the first edition stamp. The “T” should line up with the the border of the inside of the card. But I can’t find a single dark Charizard 1st Ed like the one I’m referencing that lines up. It’s a little off centered if you draw an imaginary line down. Does this rule apply to this card?

That rule is for base set cards

4 Likes

I did receive a couple Videos of him with the time stamps.

I just messaged the seller to ask if he would accept pay pal goods and services but he replied no, cash only. Is that a red flag?

Personally, given the circumstances (i.e. the lie about how he acquired it), I probably wouldn’t feel comfortable with F&F. It might not be completely nefarious, as he might be overly cautious of being scammed or trying to avoid a potential 1099 tax form at the end of the year, but I wouldn’t go through if he refuses any form of payment where you have some protection.

Edit: If it’s a local deal (with actual cash), and you feel comfortable enough with examining the slab and being able to make a call, it might be okay. But be cautious with meetups too. Try to have them in public places, bring a friend, etc. For your own safety.

3 Likes

I’d move on, this isn’t a hard card to find on eBay where you will be covered

4 Likes

That story would be a deal breaker for me personally, especially since it looks to be a Facebook listing. Too many scams on fb marketplace.

1 Like

unrelated but YOUR PFP TELL UR KITTY IT CAN HAS MY SOUL.
Ok that’s it have a good day
<3

2 Likes