Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (Basically HP GO)

Harry Potter: Wizards Unite (HP GO) - Had a chance to do some solid playing today in the city, getting more familiar with the mechanics and the way the game plays. Not that any of you asked but I thought I’d give a run down(comparing it to Pokemon GO) about how it plays.

Traces/Confoundables - This is the same function as catching Pokemon. You click the symbol on the map and go into an encounter, your job is to trace the line on the screen as fast and accurately as possible. The faster/more accurate the higher the chance to ‘catch’ it. The difficulty of the Trace/Confoundable is indicated at the start of the encounter.

Inns/Greenhouses - These are your Pokestops, Inns give you a random amount of Spell Energy(Pokeballs), that get used up in Battles/Traces/Challenges. Greenhouses offer you items that you use for Potions as well as small Spell Energy rewards.

Fortresses - These are your Gyms, you fight NPCs at ascending levels and use Runestones at the beginning of the fight which will give you more power depending on what level Runestone you use(More about Runestones later). The battles require you to press and hold a marker and drag it down to line up with the monster so you can cast a spell. This is sometimes very easy and other times incredibly difficult. The rewards for fortresses are EXP/Items/Spellbooks

Portkeys - These are your Eggs, they function the same. 2/5k at the moment and you use Keys to open them. The opening functions slightly differently to Pokemon. You go through the Portkey and have to find 5 wispy things with your VR for rewards.

Registry/Stickers/Runestones - Each Trace/Confoundable you encounter will go into a certain category, these can be Hogwarts characters, Monsters, Items from the HP Universe, and many other things. On a successful trace you have a chance to get an item to enter into your registry that forms a part of a collection. I haven’t completed any of these collections yet so I don’t know what the rewards are, yet. Regardless of whether you get a sticker to put in your collection or not, you get points towards that category of collectibles which gives you increased level of runestones to use in Fortresses.

Professions - Auror, Magizooligist, Professor each have different attributes in Fortresses and each also have their own skill tree to level that class up. You get Scrolls from levelling up your Runestone Categories and you get Spellbooks from defeating Fortress tiers.

i get a feeling this will be a flop…harry potter doesn’t translate into this type of game as well in my opinion anyway

1 Like

You underestimate the power of microtransactions.

Yeah I really dont see this taking off as much as GO. I don’t think many will but im sure there will be a decent player base going for a year or two. Id be interested to see how they keep adding to it. Pokemon GO can just add a new shiny every week or two and be set for a long while with just that lol.

Been playing it the past couple days and I think that I’ll enjoy it more than PoGo once I get more of an understanding. There seems to be more depth to the game than PoGo has. Harry Potter has an equally big fan base I’d guess as Pokemon does but it won’t get as popular as far as the game goes I’d guess due to Pokemon having a younger fan base thats all about gaming in the first place. If your an HP fan - the game is great so far though.

bgr.com/2019/06/24/harry-potter-wizards-unite-niantic-pokemon-go-reviews/

yep…looks like a flop

also my girlfriend has been playing it and complains that there’s way too much to do…you end up just standing around for ages instead of actually continuing on your walk/jog/run etc.

1 Like

400.000 downloads (top of the appstore) already making 300k$ is a flop? Compared to Pokemon GO everything flopps. But this is nowhere a flop in my eyes. Granted I havent tried this game yet so I dont know what this game has to offer