GymLeaderNick's Collection

**An avid fan of Pokemon as a child with a nearly-forgotten collection.**With the resurgence in 2020 I decided to search my parents’ basement for the cards I had collected over 20 years ago. I knew my dad, a collector at heart, had been a huge supporter of my interest but I had no idea the lengths he had gone to help me complete these sets. I remembered having a Base Set binder, but I was shocked to find a complete 1st Edition Base Set binder as well as the Unlimited one. Apparently my dad had a complete binder of almost every WoTC set at one point, but sold most of them a few years ago (oops).

Initially I had planned to sell most of the cards, but the wave of nostalgia hit me while flipping through the pages. I made an eBay page to sell various cards that had no sentimental value to me, yet I found myself using the money to buy other Pokemon cards that caught my eye. It has come full-circle and I am now looking to complete sets that my dad had started and came so close finishing. It has been fun reminiscing with him about the days of tournaments, events, and printing out stickers at the local Blockbuster Snap Station. Anyways, here is some of the collection. Most of these cards are currently out getting graded, but here are some pictures I snapped before sending them off:

1st Edition Base Set

Unlimited Base Set

My personal favorite, Japanese Southern Islands Collection

One of the sets that was nearly complete, just needed to buy Professor Elm, Rocket’s Mewtwo, and Rocket’s Hitmonchan.
Best of Game Set

E3 Shadowless Red Cheeks Pikachu (Still sealed!)

There are many more cards that I will add to this thread eventually, but some of my short-term goals are:

• Finish Expedition Base Set (just have to get that darn holo Mew!)
  • Finish Expedition Reverse Holo Set (95% of the way there)
  • Finish WoTC Black Star Promo cards (I’m looking at you, NYC Pokemon Center promos)
27 Likes

Good lord…come out guns blazing! Incredible stuff and awesome collection!!

1 Like

Wow, some crazy finds
Congrats

1 Like

Sick collection, though seeing that Charizard next to the binder ring makes me anxious lol

Additionally, for the best of game promos it’s unlikely that non-winner Rocket’s cards exist, and the Elm’s Trainer card doesn’t exist in winner:

www.elitefourum.com/t/best-of-game/31442/1

2 Likes

Fantastic. Some of them’s got the curves!

(side note: I promise this is the last Fry gif for a while. I know I have been a little overzealous with my Fry gifs.)

1 Like

Very nice collection. Those Southern Island sets are really special.

1 Like

@magals, Nice collection and what a cool dad you have! I never had first edition base cards and I will probably never have them which is fine but I got really jaleous seeing your promos. The dark Ivysaur and Venusaur rock!, Bulbasaur family is my all time favourite!

1 Like

That’s an awesome story. My parents supported my collection as a child and I’m glad they did. That’s next level your Dad was into the hobby alongside you. Thanks for sharing your collection with us

[mention]brendantheclayboy [/mention] one can never have enough fry gifs

2 Likes

Cool dad you have. Sweet collection! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

One of the cards I’ve had my eye on since hopping back in a few months ago is the Grand Party Trainer. I absolutely love the art and the double black star rarity adds to the cool factor. I bought a raw copy on eBay at auction using the funds from selling thus far, sent it in to PSA, and just got it back!

10 Likes

Congrats on one of the most iconic cards! Love your collection. :blush:

1 Like

really sweet. keep it up

1 Like

So close to finishing my Expedition Reverse Holo Set! Only 10 cards left. It’s getting harder and harder to find these in raw, near mint condition.

10 Likes

I’d probably faint if I just happened to come across a complete 1st edition shadowless base set… unreal man. Congrats!

2 Likes

The scratches on those are notorious so it’s awesome to see so many clean looking ones. I normally don’t care for a few scratches but they really roughen the look up for reverse holos.

Congrats on almost completing the set!

1 Like

Amazing collection! Such an awesome story that your dad was that into it with you and kept everything for so long. Can’t wait to see your grades when you get them back!

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, that’s what I’m finding when buying these on eBay. I’ll find one that looks great, but when it arrives it’s covered in holofoil scratches. Seems to be hard to capture the scratches in pictures.

1 Like

I’m not too interested in collecting modern cards, but it’s hard to say no to these beautiful Pikachu Promos!

8 Likes

Hey gym! Awesome collection! Was wondering which expedition reverse holos you still need? I have a few raw and mint condition

1 Like

Uhh bro… what… that find is nuts.

1 Like