Guide to Understanding Team Rocket Dark Dragonite 5/82

Hello everyone,

This post serves to educate people on the variants of Team Rocket Dark Dragonite 5/82. There are a total of four variants of this card, outlined below.

Happy collecting
:blush:

1st Edition

1st Edition - Non-Holo Error
Note: The non-holo version of this card should be number 22/82, but this card has number 5/82.

Unlimited

Unlimited - Non-Holo Error
Note: The non-holo version of this card should be number 22/82, but this card has number 5/82.

4 Likes

You really post some amazing content. All of your collection posts are top-notch and illuminating

1 Like

Thanks, that means a lot to me! I strive to make posts covering content that typically flies under the radar :grin:

2 Likes

@JoshsOddCollection ,

really enjoy your posts, do you plan to make an archive thread of some sort? (or already have one that I donā€™t know about)

vr

odds

@odds Thank you, much appreciated! What is an ā€œarchive threadā€? Iā€™m not familiar with that terminology :blush:

Archive is a collection of documents or records, so in terms a single thread that allows users to easily navigate all your threads/content. Which you would be able to organize it whatever what you deemed fit.

vr

odds

@odds Oh neat, Iā€™ll have to make one! I have a lot of new content thatā€™s going to be coming out soon (currently have 13 guides planned lol) but Iā€™ll have an archive post up soon :blush:

1 Like

Looking forward to it @JoshsOddCollection,

vr

odds

1 Like

https://instagram.com/p/BtwEzHygHgf
https://instagram.com/p/CHbNyw9FCIi

1 Like

@casual, Nice sheet :blush:

Here one more error variant Iā€™m aware of for the unlimited edition Holofoil version. They forgot to apply the solid black layer by the looks of it, causing everything to appear grey instead:

Some more examples for other Team Rocket cards with this misprint in this thread, so itā€™s not a one-time occurrence: www.elitefourum.com/t/are-theses-cards-missprint/24848/1

Also, here a video by @pkmnflyingmaster about how PokƩmon cards are printed and how certain misprints can occur. With this misprint above, the solid black layer seems to be missing:

EDIT: It might actually also be possible the black ink was simply running low, since the artwork itself is lacking black as well, which wouldnā€™t have a solid black layer applied later on a.f.a.i.k.

Greetz,
Quuador

3 Likes

@quuador Do we have proof that this happened to more than one print? All of the pictures that Iā€™ve seen are unique cards that could have been from the same printed sheet. Iā€™d be interested to see multiple of the same card with this problem :blush:

Iā€™m afraid the four cards shown in that Efour thread (Dragonite; Charizard; Gyarados; and Raichu) are the only ones Iā€™ve seen.

Greetz,
Quuador

@quuador They definitely look like a lot of the fake cards Iā€™ve seen. Do you know if thereā€™s any substantial proof that these are legit? Iā€™d love to see these cards being pulled from a pack to know that they werenā€™t just a fake print :slightly_frowning_face:

Iā€™m pretty sure theyā€™re indeed legit, and simply missing the solid black ink layer. The Dark Raichu is owned by @acebren if Iā€™m not mistaken, and I think (not sure) the Gyarados is owned by @shizzlemetimbers , so maybe they can provide a bit more information or other examples of this type of misprint.

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

Team Rocket suffers from a bunch of errors. A lot of the unlimited holos were printed with a low level of ink. The cards look faded. I have a dragonite that is just like Quuadors

2 Likes

Yep, echoing this. I dont own any, but Iā€™ve seen a lot in the wild so its definitely not just one sheet that was printed with low ink

2 Likes

Theyā€™re definitely not fake

Good to know. Have any of you tried to get one graded?

Has anyone ever worked out the odds of pulling one ? Like is it 1 in 20 boxes for example or no real way to find out