God Tier Double Swirls

That positioning on his hand!
:cyclone:
:cyclone::ok_hand:

Great finds!!

3 Likes

Nice PSA 9 partial double swirl Ampharos on ebay.

1 Like

Wow your eye is so good! It took me forever to see the second swirl.

1 Like

thanks. I’m not too proud of that, but sometimes thats what it takes to spot a double swirl lol. A few of my cards came from listings that didnt have the greatest pictures.

1 Like

I’ve got a (barely) triple swirl Mew that’s in meh condition.

3 Likes

Guess I’m going for the set in a BGS 9 lol. Matching grades with my Slowking as well.

8 Likes

There’s a lot of cool cards to look at and a lot to unpack in this thread! Just wanted to chime in since I didn’t see the 1st edition German Fossil Zapdos in the original post and just came upon this on Ebay right now:

Edit: For record-keeping purposes, I’ll just upload the image here.

5 Likes

Thanks for finding this! Added it to the OP.

1 Like

Found a quadruple swirl on the back of my Japanese Trade Please card (as long as holofoil backs count) :star_struck:

Hard to get them all in one picture and I don’t currently have a scanner but I tried to point them out in the 3rd photo. There is just so much holo!

9 Likes

PSA 9 1st Ed Pichu with a double swirl up on eBay. Not perfect placement, but definitely visible.

Have this 1st Ed Team Rocket Dark Raichu with one solid swirl and a partial. From different angles, would see like double.

Nice little triple swirl I picked up a few months ago

8 Likes

Wow, @PokMatt! This is actually very rare. It’s common to have multiple swirls on the Entei Promo, but you have a “close” double swirl. I’ve never seen a copy before. Thanks for sharing - I’ll add it to the OP!

@smokemon @seeingdubble @pinn033 Have you seen this before?

4 Likes

The black star entei and pichu are the best intro to double swirls since they’re abundant and easy to sort through. I had an entei with 6 swirls at one point :slight_smile:. I was more focused on set cards I forgot to post this one.

I realized I could find this black star promo sheet with #35 Pichu’s on Heritage Auction. (I originally approached the owner at one point and got no response, so I gave up). I’m going to use this to further study double swirls as this is probably one of the best resources that can be used to study weld line distances. More on this later

Pay special attention to the right side of the border of this sheet, it’s a treat to see the double swirls!

Also, a 6 swirl Pichu is possible. Check it out!

6 Likes

Oh man, the close double swirls on the Entei and Pichu are awesome. I’ve never seen them before. The possibility of six :cyclone: is just :exploding_head:. Do you think the six swirl set would be possible on any of the english reverse holos with this pattern then? I.e. Southern Islands, winner promos, etc.

3 Likes

Ive seen that pattern on a copy with six swirls. I dont have the image saved, but I can probably find it on google later. Its a great looking card for sure though. Good stuff @PokMatt.

2 Likes

This is so cool, thanks for sharing! Do you know if this is possible on the Japanese promos as well or just in English?

Now I need to find me a 6 swirl Pichu :eyes:

2 Likes

I have some Ex era cards you guys might find interesting as well if you liked that one. Not sure if you count these though haha.

I couldn’t get both swirls in the light in one picture unfortunately so I took 2 pics.

The placement on this swirl is one of my favorite, chef’s kiss!

The Hitmonchan has a super nice swirl in the bottom left corner of the card that a picture doesn’t do it justice.

4 Likes

@Dyl I think If I’m not mistaken, Japanese promos share the same holo pattern as regular set cards, and these were manufactured very consistently. There are Japanese holo shifts so I guess a double swirl could exist? One can dream

@bbobrob I think it can exist on winner promos. I have yet to see Southern Islands but it’s possible!

2 Likes

Yeeee… So I actually know this exists but I haven’t mentioned it before because I have been looking for a specific one for my Pokédex and have not found it yet. Sorry for that :sweat_smile:

The only double swirl I own that I have not posted here before is my 6 swirl Entei.

I know it’s possible on the winner promos because I’m dying to find the Hitmonchan. (I can pay a finders fee to anyone that finds one for me :laughing:)

I have seen weld lines on the southern islands promos but the holo pattern is sideways so it is not possible to find a 6 swirl for them. Unless there are cards printed with the pattern vertical, then it would be possible.

I have never seen an overlapping weld line on japanese cards before so I don’t think it’s possible unfortunately.

Edit: for japanese “vintage” cards there are only three cosmos reverse holos I believe which is the reason I chose the JP Entei promo for my Pokédex so my 6 swirl entei isn’t actually in my dex and that’s the reason I’m looking for the 6 swirl Hitmonchan because that one is the only option to get a 6 swirl in my dex. My collection is one big puzzle and hard to work with sometimes but thanks yo it I have learned many things that most people don’t think about. :smile:

4 Likes