Gary Vaynerchuk in Pokemon

Looks like he’s considering getting in. What will he shoot for? Trophies? Set cards? What will happen if he tells his millions of followers to invest in these instead of sports cards? I’m excited to grow the hobby!

1 Like

13 Likes

Gary’s talked about pokemon for awhile. He is mainly in sport cards but has mentioned pokemon numerous times, even on the breakfast club.

4 Likes

Damn, thought this was the 1st time. Glad to hear he does mention it on occasion though. Good for the hobby

1 Like

I know I’m going to get flak for this but I’m personally not excited lol

I could see this from a mile away. Hide ya PSA 10’s.

4 Likes

Who is he?

6 Likes

Yeah he said he didn’t grow up with Pokemon so he doesn’t have that same connection he does with sports cards but he’s on record saying multiple times that Pokemon is a serious collectible and recommends anyone who has a connection with it to get involved.

2 Likes

Yeh he has mentioned it many times. I guess the only reason he still has not gone in on it is that he does not have that nostalgic connection and it would mean lots of learning about all the different Pokemon, gens, sets etc.

I feel like even coming into the hobby having had knowledge of Pokemon there is still tones to learn. Just look at base set: 1st ed, shadowless, unlimited, 4th print. I’d imagine he hasn’t bothered simply because of the time he would need to put it to get the understanding of it.

He probably just highlights it every now and then to show people how legit graded card markets are and all the different types of card collecting you can do.

3 Likes

Gary V seems like he’s looking for Pokemon knowlege or at least curious. He needs to join the SMPrattreon.

3 Likes

I mean, if I were an influential personality in the speculating/investing realm, I would’ve already gotten in before I go public with what I am “trying” to do. Maybe Gary V has been a forum, Discord & Patreon member all along. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

says his net worth is 160m. if he throws 5% into pokemon, i think pokemonprice.com will break and we will all get an invite from smpratte to his (early) early retirement party.

4 Likes

He’s probably worth a bit more than that if he would liquidate everything but he probably has FAR less cash on hand. I think even one million dollars from him would be enough to maybe affect a few price points of a few cards, but not too much beyond that. He’s more into sports cards than anything

Gary V making a serious move into Pokemon is really good for the value of cards but also really bad for pretty much
anyone wanting to buy cards :slightly_frowning_face:

On the plus side, at least modern pokemon has little in common with modern sports cards so that’s nice. Fingers crossed we never have to pay $400+ for the newest booster box lol

1 Like

I think if someone swooped in and with the swipe of a bank account gathered all the high end PSA cards from ebay, this would only help increase the popularity of other “less desirable” cards that are still readily available. Though I don’t see this as a likely scenario in the first place, as I believe @smpratte, and others have mentioned before that someone at the high end of this market will mainly be interested in trophies and similarly limited cards.

2 Likes

That would be my advice to Gary. To get a bunch of the trophies

This both excites me and also makes me hope that he’s got a genuine interest. Although either way, there’s opportunity even if you just want to make money.

1 Like

Gary V is a hard core flipper. He’s not the investor type. He’s the guy who you see at garage sales picking up inventory for eBay. He’s not going to be interested in trophy and other high end cards unless they’re at a sever discount. Essentially he’s doing what a lot of us are already doing. Learning about the hobby, finding the price point and buying undervalued. He’s not a collector so he’ll resell his inventory, overall it’s a good thing for us to get more items on the market as well as exposure to the hobby.

Edit: it should be noted I don’t follow him all that much, so I could be off in that he does hold items. What I have seen he’s someone that someone that looks for the dollar not the collectible.

This. Not sure if he’s the type of guy we want in the hobby. I’m sure it’ll be great for the market in the short term but he’s gonna dip after some quik flipz.

1 Like

He talks about how this generation wouldn’t buy an expensive painting but instead, buying graded TCG to display in their home. So I guess he might have done the same? He does the flipping (Trash Talk on his Youtube) to show that it’s possible for anyone to earn for a living or be “successful” (how you want to coin success is) and there shouldn’t be any excuses not to do anything at this age and era. But I guess it’s how we might want to perceive it too! And I think it’s good for the pokemon TCG market since there are more “marketing” done.