Flattening cards.

Anybody have any safe methods of flattening cards out. I love in an area with fairly extreme temperature changes and this open slightly bends some of the holo cards i have. Any advice on flattening them out in a save way (and then i’ll put them in hard sleeves

Thank you!

D

I know a guy that flattens his cards all the time and he swears it helps bump his grades. He has glass slabs with screws and the slabs are totally flat with no indents. This way there is no worry about denting the card based on centering.

So he puts the card between the slabs and screws it down moderately tight and simply leaves it or a while. I’m not sure how long, but the longer the better. He swears by it and I imagine it can help with serious bends.

1 Like

In a penny sleeve, between two books with no indents or texture (only smooth flat surfaced books!!)

Then stack more books on top, maybe 30 lbs worth. Leave sitting for 3-4 days and you should notice the bend reduce significantly.

Be very careful with this!

I have used encyclopedias in the past… about all they are good for these days lol

1 Like

I put them in perfect fits, which will straighten them since there’s no extra wiggle room compared to penny sleeves. If they need more straightening I put them in a book. Never needed more than 7 days to have them perfectly flat.

I live in an area where it’s 100+ in the day and 40-50 at night. Thankfully little to no humidity, but still get crazy warping some times.

You’re all so helpful. Thank you again! I’m sure your friend is right about it helping to bump grades.

Would it be possible to link some of the products here you’re mentioning, like the ‘perfect fits’ and the ‘penny sleeves’.

I’m in Australia by the way so something i can get here would be great but all good if not x

Here’s perfect Sleeves it’s what I use for my binder collection. They work great, only problem is they don’t have jumbo sized ones as of now for jumbo sized cards.
www.perfectfitsleeves.com/
Mjisaacs

Be EXTRA careful with perfect fit sleeves though. I use them too for my binder collection and they are as described, perfect fits! If you are not careful you may accidentally knick a corner putting the cards in them. I have not had any issues with this and have since removed some cards to have them grade 10, but it is something to be careful of when using them. Once a card is in, it stays in unless carefully pushed up from the bottom.

I made this same thread a few months ago and 10 people told me to iron my cards and 1 person said books lol :sob:

Panini press works just as good. Lol

2 Likes

From personal experience I recommend NOT using one of these

What happened?

www.elitefourum.com/t/your-biggest-collectible-failure-value-wise/18012/17

:sob: