First time selling on Ebay (need advice & modified post)

Hi again! My first post was removed (as what I posed I was unaware violated a term in the posting ruleset) so id like to rewrite this to still get some tips and pointers without that which was possibly toxic to the environment here, so to start Id like to first apologize to everyone and the inconvenience I previously caused. I value this community a ton so far and my active role here, so I feel that needed to be stated.

Second is for the repost, which is based around myself trying to sell some of my cards on ebay. Ive only ever bough product on there before, however Ive only started doing so since last November, so my feedback is low as a buyer and nil as a seller. I just like some help on how to go about doing a listing, some tips on how to take pictures (or scans, which im not even 100% sure on what that means and how to do so), how to word things (description wise, do I put used/new, whatever else that might entail), and how to say put a price to something so that a buyer would be interested regardless of having low feedback. I really am opposed to doing one of those “L@@k” type of things or anything misleading or clickbaity style (which im sure no one here does, but just something to note), and really just would like some tips in how to be the best I can be in selling to protect not only myself but others looking to possibly purchase something im selling. Anyways, id love to hear some feedback here and again, im sincerely sorry for my first post. Thanks in advance!

Honestly, you’re probably overthinking it.

Here’s a quick set of points I feel are relevant:

• Zero feedback might turn people off but honestly anything like 5 or more is just not a consideration to me. This is actually the value of ebay’s buyer protection that people overlook since if there is a problem I know I can have it resolved.
  • As long as you hit a few key words the title doesn’t matter too much. “Pokemon”, “card”, “1st”, “holo”, “[set name]”, “psa [grade]” “[condition]”. You will probably hit the saved searches of anyone who actually wants the item with these words
  • description, and new vs used honestly doesn’t matter. Use the description if there’s something unusual about the item that would go against the buyer’s assumptions
  • there are many ways to price things:-> auction-> price high with best offer-> price at exactly what you want with no best offeretc. The correct choice depends on the item and it’s just a trade-off between how fast you want to sell and how much you want to milk every dollar from it
3 Likes

I don’t know if the ‘‘new vs used’’ condition, you have to select on ebay, is irrelevant beacuase I think I remember reading of people filing a return and winning thanks to the ‘‘new’’ option, because the item coudln’t be considered new or something like that.
I know I didn’t explained myself properly, but anyway, personally I prefer to mark as ‘used’’ and then describe the product with pictures and words as best as possible, just in case.

If a buyer really wants a return, they can make it happen regardless if the listing says new or used. If you really want to hedge your bets just go with used but ultimately it doesn’t matter

1 Like

@pkmnflyingmaster, I probably am overthinking it (its a real hard habit to break, but i figured it couldnt hurt to ask for some help) but I do appriecate all the points listed, especially the points about feedback. Ebays protection has been awesome for me personally and the true selling point in determining a purchase that I would make, but I should have considered that more in this regard. Lastly though Id like to ask a bit more on the pricing things aspect of it. I know there are the different ways, and I figured Buy it Now with Best Offer would be my ideal way in the case of what im looking to sell (while other items I have i think an auction would work best) but im curious if theres any fees I would have to pay as a seller that I might need to factor in. Ive heard talk of there being some here and there, but nothing concrete enough to have solid knowledge on. Other than that, I greatly appreciate the advice and taking the time out to help me here so thank you again!

Ebay takes 10%
PayPal takes approx 3%
For higher value items, you will want to factor in shipping and insurance as well

1 Like

Oh, I also forgot to add and ask in regard to fees if theres specific ones for a specific type of listing, ie. buy it now vs auction and if they differ in ways. Just curious there as that might help me to determine which way Id like to sell which card/cards.

Awesome! Thanks for this! In terms of insuring something, how would i go about that and would you happen to know of the rates? I dont have anything in particular that exceeds an extremely high value, but if say I sell a set that breaks the $1000 mark in a binder, what would you expect to pay for that or should something to that degree not be insured? Personally id feel better protecting the buyer, but if something like that wouldnt require me to do so then id rather ship accordingly

Insurance is a few dollars per $100 in value. Similar to USPS rates. Everyone has a different threshold, but I personally insure items over a couple hundred dollars.

I’d suggest listing and selling several smaller items first, to gain experience with the platform and build up your rating. Then move to the higher value items as your comfort level and experience increase. The best advice I can give you is to be patient.

1 Like

That was another thing i thought about doing as well, just to get the feel of selling before trying to move anything larger in value. I feel that would be best and I do agree patience is key here. Its the one thing ive learned to have to gain in the whole collecting game, which is difficult at times, but the payoff is always much better when just allowing things to fall into place rather than rushing and being too impulsive. Again, thank you so much for the help here!

1 Like