Equity Management

Although I like the analysis, I believe the market where you live largely differs from where I am. I am extremely fortunate that I cannot relate to those numbers or scenario!

The only thing I will share from my personal experience is that my Timmy’s pays more than they would if they owned it themselves. I am simply the guy who collects the extra. As for the one I live in, the extras and my basement dwellers are largely paying for it.

Even without the timmy’s, doing proper research on the equity, inspections, looking at crime rate, what’s around, general market growth, interest as close to 1% as possible, I could go on and on. You will never lose if these are all a check in the box. It’s almost the same principle as my earlier comment on stocks in this thread.

Neurofinance plays a major role in most peoples financial decisions, which would be too long to get into.
But most people spend little time around the housing market. Base their decision on size/look/backyard, ignore the bad inspection points and only really listen when the realtor says its good and birds are singing every morning.
Some will hear a tip on a bus and put their life savings on a stock they know nothing about before sunset.
Others will have a youtuber tell them how much value a card will have in 6 months and fully invest based on that.

I know these are extremes, but unfortunately very common scenarios. The analysis you put in prior to any investment will almost always correlate with the end result. And I only say ‘‘almost’’ because of course a Black Swan can always happen whoever you are.

Since I feel like we’re taking over this thread (lol) I will finish by saying this; In any financial markets having the knowledge, being your own best wealth manager and doing the proper research on the asset you are purchasing will always be your greatest power. If somewhere along the returns are small or even negative, it almost always points to the initial investment.

(This was really fun, I always enjoy friendly debate on the topics of finance. Always nice to hear different views on the subject :blush: )

2 Likes

oh btw, it was in the fastest growing city in the country at one point, so its not like the location was bad. Financially its not a big deal for me but I know for other people it could be devastating.

Results will always be proportioned to what kind of investor you are. Most people only look at prices/physical looks or listen to someone else without second guessing at all.

The equity market or stocks are not a lottery. Only too few truly do put enough research in.

The last I’ll say on that topic, if someone in his 20’s can do it, so can anyone. Just don’t leave the results of your investment up to faith.
Relying on sheer luck won’t lead you to produce fruitful results. Massive amounts of buyers find themselves in this category unknowingly.

:blush:

The housing market was reaching its peak around '06. Bad timing may be an issue here, not poor returns

1 Like

That’s correct.

The big thing about housing is that most times you’re talking about leveraged returns. That’s why in certain situations it’s generally better than renting

obv it wasn’t at the bottom, but it definitely wasn’t at the top either. Same copy of my house sold in the same suburb in 07 for 900k.

A lot can change in two years. Just look at Pokemon prices from 2019 to now.

Actually housing is a pretty crap investment. I took a real estate investment module at Wharton and the professor’s introduction during the first 2 mins was that retail investing in housing is a bad investment, and that she would be retired if she bought property stocks rather than a house during the 08/09 crisis. The rest of the class was focused on commercial property investing like office buildings and stuff.

The issue is housing is always the first thing people think of when it comes to investing - which makes pricing very efficient and competitive. So returns are bad, unless you buy them in a country where the economy will boom over the next few decades. it’s very tied to GDP.

3 Likes

www.wsj.com/articles/SB991681622136214659

1 Like

Mostly all in bitcoin. Have been diversifying out of it with the recent price movement and moving into equities, art, and now pokemon cards.

1 Like

401k, Roth IRA, taxable account and real estate. I have a three fund portfolio and follow the FIRE movement. Keep it simple

1 Like

10% collectibles (initial- I don’t readjust this figure. I roll the profits over.)
90% low fee whole market index funds (I recommend Vanguard)

I contribute directly from my pay (pre-tax. woo-hoo!), before I even see it, so psychologically none of my raises have ever really “registered” with me.

An interesting video to watch:

1 Like

High level talks.I would like to partake. LF portfolio advice for your: % ETBs, Modern sealed, wotc sealed, 3blister packs, uncut sheets, loose packs, <.005% graded card, etc… And Side Collections ? Which poke stonk/side collection did it for you last year? Thanks

1 Like

Here is a detailed breakdown of my personal stonker portfolio:

ETB (Champions Path) 5%
Modern sealed (only stonker sets like shining fates, sm is shit) 65% (getting more tomorrow from target restock)
WOTC sealed (this is for the elites) 0%
3 blister packs (aside from evolutions irrelevant) 1%
uncut sheets (highly recommend mcdonalds sheets) 2%
loose packs (mcdonalds and champions path mostly) 7%
graded cards (PSA 3-5 wotc unlimited commons) 10%
side collections (waifu fullarts) 10%

3 Likes