Entry Level Trophy Cards - Such a thing?

Hello everyone, after watching Smprattes youtube videos, he had me thinking and waningt to try and get into trophy cards.

I know this will be very expensive for the well established ones, but are there entry level ones?

I have been trying to Google it without much luck… Googling Pokemon Trophy Cards - Really just was bringing up the well known ones, and sites selling newer looking cards which I don’t know what they are.

Would love some advice / guidance on this and if there are some cards that can be picked up without taking a loan on my house :stuck_out_tongue:.

Thanks!

There are multiple cards I think both smpratte and mkpokecc reviewed on their channels that somewhat fit the description of “entry level” trophy cards or moreso trophy card “alternatives”. Cards that were more widely distributed in the same events where trophy cards were received.

i.e. 2006-2010 victory medal pikachu trainer promos, 2004-2009 tropical wind/tidal wave trainer promos, or older stuff like Grand Party trainer promo may fall in that category among other “event” cards of that nature. Search some of those key words on ebay and see if there’s anything you like.

1 Like

Yeah, off the top of my head, English and Japanese Tournament card prizes, as small as battle roads, and Worlds Championsips promos!

AWESOME!

Tropical Tidal Wave - 036 - Worlds ''06 Promo NM Promo Pokemon -

Just bought this on ebay… it was just listed! I love the art work… No idea if these are “rare” but I like it so oh well!
Thanks guys! New hunts are one.

1 Like

What is it about the trophy cards you’re after?

If you’re looking for the rarity, there are English or Japanese promo cards in pretty much every price or rarity bracket you could imagine. I’d definitely recommend picking a language. It looks like English promos is one route you’ve started going down? :blush:

One really helpful step for helping us help you pick some fitting goals would be narrowing down what it is that catches your eyes/ears about a “trophy” card. :blush:

Great advice, thank you.

Are there cards that are limited print that maybe are like $500 and under and have the potential to be worth good money in 10 years? I know thats the million dollar question for everyone.

Ill continue to Google in the mean time :grin:
I absolutely love this card

www.ebay.com/itm/Kangaskhan-Promo-Pokemon-Card-Parent-Child-Tournament-Extremely-Rare-Trophy-/263196540321?hash=item3d47bc7da1:g:BIMAAOSwZrtZs60s

I’ll put it this way: If you’re aim is to invest, collect. And don’t collect as investment. Just collect.

There are so many good opportunities in Pokemon right now that the people I know who have that natural ability and seasoned collecting know-how aren’t asking what the good options are. They’re just buying as much as their capital permits them to. There are no secrets. Just collect until you see the patterns.

That said, if you are looking for affordable cards with low print runs, I think you’ve started in the right place with world’s promos. I’ve had more inquiries in the past year for world’s stamped promos than in every year I’ve been in the hobby before that combined. They’re still incredibly niche, but this year brought in a lot of attention to them specifically. I suspect the prominence of streaming has helped out tremendously as people feel connected to the event in ways they never felt before without spending huge money to attend.

1 Like

Great advice again, thank you so much for this. And awesome! I am glad I managed to snag one then :grin:.

www.ebay.com/itm/Kangaskhan-Promo-Pokemon-Card-Parent-Child-Tournament-Extremely-Rare-Trophy-/263196540321?hash=item3d47bc7da1:g:BIMAAOSwZrtZs60s

This Kangaskhan - I know there isn’t many of them - I love the art work. I love the stories, and history, I love the rarity.

Although out of my price range - is 4k an actual decent price for something like this?

What are your motivations? To the right buyer, it’s a steal. An affordable price on an increasingly scarce card. If you’re not comfortable at that price, it’s a horrible purchase. Never buy if you’re not confident and comfortable.

I know this all sounds very fluffy as though I’m avoiding a straight answer but it’s honestly because there is no straight answer.

1 Like

There isn’t a cheaper option right now for the kangaskhan. I think most collectors would pay that amount for a ex-nm copy. Trophy Khan is a well rounded card in every category.

To answer your question, it sounds like worlds promos and japanese prize cards are the best bet for you atm. Here is the list most people use for tournament cards. Here is the last post 2005. Also browse through bulbapedia and search the cards you like on ebay to see if they are available.

1 Like

Awesome thank you so much Scott.

I am going to delete my post to you on Youtube. You’re one of the guys who got me into this as well.

I posted on your YouTube and on your instagram after watching your video about the Illustrator cards… Only to then see 2 for sale on ebay.

Do you think that was due to the crazy prices the cards have achieved that collectors are motivated to cash in while they can? Or just a shear coincidence that right after you made your video discussing them and the rarity that 2 popped up for sale?

Thank you guys so much for the links and everything… Truly a great forum with even greater people.
Thanks again.

1 Like