eBay won't ship to Australia?

So I sold a card to Australia on eBay (~$600, I’m in the U.S.) and for some reason the buyer can’t put in a shipping address. I originally assumed this was due to authenticity guarantee and I could get around it, but upon contacting eBay they told me that "issue and received the following response:

“Unfortunately the item that you have listed is not eligible under ebay international shipping (eIS) program because of custom restrictions set by the Australian government. In order for items to be shipped via ebay international shipping it should meet international trade and customs regulation. It is completely system automated and items that are eligible are automatically listed with eIS. Due to export limitations and restrictions in Australia, items listed in eligible categories also can’t be shipped with eBay International Shipping. This is not an exhaustive list and it may be updated based on transportation regulations and export laws. I cannot guarantee if or not the package will be stuck in customs if you choose other international service providers, as the information that I have shared is based on what custom and export regulations apply for our international shipping partners”

I’ve shipped to Australia plenty of times in the past and not had issues - is this something anyone has had problems with or should I be safe to just send an invoice for USPS First Class/Priority Mail international? I just want to make sure the card doesn’t get stuck or lost with eBay taking the buyers side and leaving me without the card or the money.

Thanks!

1 Like

600 is dangerously close to the 1k limit as to when they need to pay import duty (20% of the sale price). There have been some really shit stories recently of peoples stuff being returned cause of customs being cocks

2 Likes

That’s helpful to know, thank you! It still seems weird that eBay wouldn’t be willing to just collect that duty as part of their shipping program? I’ll probably discuss with USPS and the buyer and see what we can work out.

Tell them to open an account with one of the multiple middle men in the states i say (like shipmycards) removes the risk from you 100%

1 Like

Lol I think you need another ebay agent, i live in AU and no cards gonna get restricted at Customs, no chance! Ebay processing duty on international shipments coming in too so that’s definitely no5 the issue

Infact I just checked your ebay, I can see all your items and shipping price to me, Maybe your buyer is inexperienced? Very strange

2 Likes

That is super weird. They said they buy from the U.S. a lot, so I’m not sure what’s going on. :man_shrugging: I suggested a middleman once, but maybe I’ll see if I can push them in that direction.

Hmm, does the buyer see your other listings?

They do, but I’m not sure about the shipping - I can ask. I just made a new listing to test that card, it’s a PSA Pokemon Center promo. Out of curiosity, can you see it on your end?

Just checked, can’t see it :thinking: Is there maybe something in the tags that flags ebay?

Oh wait, is this it

2 Likes