ebay question

Take good pictures before you send them back. The label should include tracking so I don’t think you will have to worry about proving he got them back. Sorry you have to deal with someone like this…

ebay is very customer friendly. You’ll get your money back no matter what.

Awesome, luckily I’ve never had to deal with a return before… Normally i’m pretty thorough when looking over posts, but this guy flat out lied.

Situations like this I like to even take a step further than just photos.

I would video tape the condition and videotape myself packing up the package, finally showing the return label. That way if a dispute comes up like “the buyer damaged my cards and then sent them back to me!” you’ll have video evidence to prove otherwise.

Photos likely would do the trick too, but I like to be over-cautious.

As long as you attach a tracking number to the case then you will be covered, you could return a pizza box with a label on it and ebay would still give you a refund, I’ve only seen paypal request the seller to take a video of accepting the returned item from the postman and open it on camera but ebay don’t seem to care as long as they can track somthing being returned to its seller.

I once had a show box lid arrive instead of a theme deck, I had to send back said shoe box lid with tracking to recive my refund, its sad but it can also be used to screw over a seller as well.

2 Likes

What is the auction link so we can all be aware?
What did you pay?

What I’m wondering is, has there ever been a seller that (for example) received a pizza box and was successfully able to appeal to ebay or PayPal for the amount originally paid to be returned?

1 Like

I’m sure there have been instances where they’ve sided with the seller. I myself have had appeals decided in my favor before. But the money comes out of ebays pocket, not the buyers. So you really have nothing to worry about. Also regardless of how well everything is photographed and described appeals don’t always work in the sellers favor.

eBay gives each user a couple concessions per account that they can use at their whim. If you use a few then you probably won’t have any more decisions in your favor for a while. They kept telling me that it’s the cost of doing business and I have to accept that (granted that was me fighting over the cost of shipping and mostly minor things).

That’s bull crap. It would only be “the cost of doing business” if all payments were near equal amounts. If you sell both 20.00 and 2000.00 items it cannot be the cost of doing business. And as far as “whims” or “free passes” that doesn’t work either cause the buyer could get 100 .99 items but claim on a 5000.00 item.

Does that all make sense to everyone?

4 Likes

Suppose I should clarify more. The “cost of doing business” remarks were in regards to two things as a seller. This was after multiple phone conversions with the US based appeals department. First was shipping costs to and from a buyer that opened a item not as described case even though the item was described and photographed properly. The second was in relation to a buyer returning a set to me damaged that he actually took a sharpie to a couple of the cards and marked them up in order to claim the item was not as described (and I found out later he actually stole one of the holo cards from the set as well).

In the end eBay claims that there is no way they can prove how the items were received, shipped, damaged etc. They provide refunds/ reimbursements in some accounts but they will not do it all the time. One of the reps kept using the analogy that selling on eBay is like setting up a shop in the mall. As a seller we need to expect and accept certain losses/ expenses to occur.

I think it’s bullshit but I’m just a tiny voice in a vast ocean. Yelling at the reps won’t do me any good.

1 Like

^^^ Seconded ^^^

If I’m buying raw cards condition doesn’t bother me. I’m not planning to grade them and they look nice in my binder collection. That’s just how I avoid disappointment on raw card condition.