eBay Off-Site Transactions . . .

Hey Folks,

I just re-opened my eBay store (summer hobby) and have already been bombarded with several messages from potential buyers wanting to buy off-site. I’ll admit that I’ve done it before, but with eBay monitoring messages and cracking down on this behavior, I’m not willing to risk it.

Question: Is it better to just ignore these requests or respond and say no to off-site transactions. I’m worried that just by responding eBay may automatically flag it.

***I think this could make a could sequel to your last video on “Shade-City” Scott: Responding to eBay Offers and Shady eBay practices :wink:

1 Like

Maybe just put it in your description or something? To say you dont accept or entertain and messages for off site transactions. Also state you will not respond to such messages and will report to Ebay if they persist?

Kind of shows Ebay your stance so hopefully people get the picture and will refrain from messaging in future.

On a side note, I saw a really nice few cards on your store, I dropped you a message earlier about doing it 10% less through just paypal. Did you get it yet? I havent had a message back.

My ebay user is:-

DidHeJustSayThat

Cheers

3 Likes

I don’t have a record of a message from that username . . . feel free to PM me though.

If for some reason ebay sends a warning from ignoring messages, I would respond that you do not do off site transactions. I hope this is temporary by ebay to send a message. Sellers shouldn’t have to worry if they should respond or not to protect themselves.

And good video idea! I do need to mention this change in a video eventually!

1 Like

Sorry It was a poor joke :wink: I personally would ignore the messages, you can use the fact you have never reached out to the person if Ebay are arsey.

Or just message them directly? Customer service that is.Try get clarification.If you arent goign to try do outside transactions again then it may be best so tyou are fully clear.

Good luck whatever you do!

So I avoided responding to any messages that even hinted at off-site transactions and eBay sent me a warning today. Seriously? What does eBay expect–punish sellers for buyers’ messages? Although it was just “a warning,” there was literally zero contact or follow-up from me with any message with off-site info. I’m not sure it’s even worth contacting eBay, since “no actions have been taken against my account” . . . anybody else experiencing issues like this?

Maybe they’re going through old messages and seeing if any off-site transactions were made in the past but decided to warn you just now?

At any rate, I just had a transaction through PayPal for something I had on eBay. I guess I’ll find out in 1-2 weeks if I’ll be warned/punished…

I’ll be interested to know, because I definitely attempted too many off site transactions about 2 months ago. Even sending images of hand written note, so I would assume a bot wouldn’t pick it up

My account was suspended temporarily for this crap.

$10000+ a year in ebay fees, and i do a small handful of transactions off of ebay because the buyers keep hounding me, and i get suspended for a few weeks from selling privileges.

i don’t know what to do, get a second account and start messaging the buyers through that perhaps?.. i don’t really bother doing private deals anymore now as i don’t want to lose my account

I got an email the other day from a guy I have bought from in the past.He said “I have emailed you” in my ebay inbox lol…wonder if that will be picked up

@geg89

Strange, when I started using ebay years ago I remember trying to use email etc. in ebay pm’s but the system prevented sending message because it contained such forbidden words.

they still do block email addresses etc, I thought it would have been flagged up/blocked.

1 Like

I got flagged for asking for a paypal email address to send money to for an ebay transaction. It’s pretty ridiculous imo. :confused:

Best way is to buy an item from someone you are wanting to have repeat business with, log into paypal after the transaction and pull their email from the sale.

Outside transactions only really save the buyer 10%, however can be the difference between a sale or not for the seller.
I have done several purchases from sellers just through paypal.If we were going through ebay, I wouldnt have purchased the items.

Dont get me wrong, most of my purchases(95%+) are through ebay, amazon or business websites.

I talked with an eBay representative, and she identified a specific message in which a potential buyer offered to purchase a card directly through paypal. I never responded to this message or any other message with any mention of off-site sales. eBay reviewed my message history and acknowledged that I didn’t respond or do anything wrong, but still said that messages like these are against their policies and will likely be flagged by their algorithms and that I could always block buyers to avoid potential warnings in the future.

The only way I can interpret this is that sellers (to some extent) are being held accountable for the content of buyer messages.

In the event of an actual ban and not a warning you would have no trouble getting this overturned by a human. Especially if in the future you were to message them back saying flatly that you cannot offer deals outside of the eBay platform which is the best route especially if your eBay account is any part of your livelihood/paying bills.

That’s what the representative told me too . . . it just seems ridiculous to me that one could get a ban for a buyer message and then have to call eBay to defend themselves and restore their account. It’s a bad business policy on eBay’s part and may deter small sellers or people from paying subscriptions for eBay stores. Not to mention the potential lost sales revenue from account bans.

1 Like

@butchdawg32 I definitely don’t agree with it or like the way it is (the fact that sellers get warnings for things the buyers do/say), but I have no problem paying the eBay fees and I understand why eBay is protecting their interest in sales finishing on eBay. I can’t really afford to lose my store for 3-4 weeks either so I always make sure to decline them fully and promptly whenever it comes up. Anyone through the forum knows they can message me here to do deals direct, but for others contacting me through eBay message I would rather just come down 10% on my eBay price if I want the sale that bad than risk my account.

Don’t come on quite this strong in your auction description. “Won’t respond” “report to eBay”. It’s not necessary and to potential buyers makes you look too aggressive and unlike able:)

1 Like

Hah thats not to be quoted lol! Use a more tactful approach, I dont mean be down right rude to them.Just polite but firm :)I didnt fancy writing out an exact message ^.^ its for PM not description

The reason for a polite but firm reply shows Ebay that you have complied with their rules and have informed the buyer that unfortunately it is against the rules to discuss or try do transactions outside of ebay.If it is tried then accounts can be suspended blah blah