eBay Etiquette

A few questions:

As a seller, do you find it rude for buyers to message you with offers if you have a set BIN with no option for BO?

As a buyer, do exceedingly unrealistic BIN prices deter you from making an offer?

Thanks!

As a seller i dont mind messages with realistic offers.
As a buyer, unrealistic BIN prices make me scroll down the page without even thinking of making an offer.

8 Likes

It’s part of being a seller. You need to be patient and firm with people. But if they start wasting your time too much, just cut them off.

Set an auto-decline button on items if need-be. Helps prevent time wasters :wink:

i sometimes do it if i no i will be busy when the auction time ends forinstance if i am at work at the time of the uaction end i will send them a message

Any near market value offer I pay attention to.
Lowballers are ignored.
Anyone who says, “What’s the cheapest you’ll take?” Ignored;)

1 Like

I usually ignore also, but sometimes counter with “What is the most you’ll pay?”

That is the single worst line anyone can possibly say in negotiating, and they never end up getting the actual best price when they ask that question if they get any discount at all. I mean come on… where do people come up with that garbage?

4 Likes

As a seller, I don’t find it rude at all. Regardless of a set BIN with no option for BO, if a person shows interest in what I am selling then that’s good for me!

As a buyer, NOTHING stops me from making an offer! Unless they block me…which only 1 seller has for now.

2 Likes

I do the same ‘What’s the most you’ll pay line’. Every now and again I’ll actually give an answer for the lowest I’ll accept (very rare and has to be a repeat customer).

The thing that drives me absolutely nuts is if I answer and they ask if I’ll go slightly lower. What the hell does cheapest mean to you that you think I’ll go lower?

1 Like

If you get over a dozen messages a day and absolutely NONE turn into a sale well…given the time involved to deal with the back and forth…screw em;)
They are low baller’s who, if accommodated, will only serve to set a low price precedence which will affect the hobby’s value. Now if you offer 20% less and are willing to do it off eBay via gift payment and pay full shipping, then fine.
Look at it this way. Somebody on eBay sold a PSA 9 1st Ed base Char for 1700+ and a half dozen sold from 2000-2500. Now every offer I get is 1700 lol.

2 Likes

As a buyer I’ve often had great success by simply making a reasonable offer that is close to market value. If the BIN is over market I’ve often sent a polite message. Several times I’ve messaged the exact same “I’m very interested, however the asking price seems a bit high. Kindly, what is the lowest offer that you would accept”, and most of the time received a polite response in return. No bs, straight to the point, what’s your best? (I am glad to receive these types of offers also :blush: ).

For someone running high volume mainstream sales like Gary or Rusty sending that kind of message wouldn’t make sense because 1. His prices are already fair as it is and 2. Understanding the high volume of sales it doesn’t make sense for him to waste his time with long drawn out back and forth negotiations over 10%< difference.

On the flip side as a seller if someone offered me $20 for a sub $80 item I just block them. I would prefer not to deal with that kind of buyer regardless of their intent to purchase. It may seem harsh but it comes down to money and time… of which time is limited for me as of late.

2 Likes

In the sports card world, I routinely have $20-$40 offers accepted on cards with $100+ list prices. The disparity is incredibly consistent. I bought 5 $300 cards (list price) from a guy recently with $35 offers each. That’s what the cards were worth, but still…

I won’t even click on it.

One thing that annoys me as a buyer is when the seller has an insanely high BIN price set and auto-decline for offers. I never lowball so if someone is asking $650 for a card worth $200 at best, and I offer $180 and get auto-declined that tells me the seller has limited knowledge of Pokemon and is not someone I want to work with. Generally I try to avoid anything they’re selling after that.