E4's Favorite Latias / Latios (Closed)

I did not catch this, I feel like it’s going to throw the poll. Maybe just combine the votes for both cards at the end?

1 Like

Just wanted to mention that the Latias from the recent Miraidon ex starter deck is missing from the poll (it’s missing from the Latias TCG bulbapedia page too):

5 Likes

oh dangit you’re right. let me add it

edit: ok i’ve added this. it is at the end of the poll since it was the most recent addition, coming out in 2024. you can click on this to reach the Scarlet and Violet section

1 Like

That’s actually a card with more character as was hoped earlier in this thread!

1 Like

They are just hard subjects to illustrate. There are some good depictions, but they don’t have much variation in their posing and so many just seem generic or awkward. I do think the Latias getting clothes stuck on itself is really clever, since it can’t reach any part of it’s body with it’s stubby arms to remove the clothes.

3 Likes

Same. But I think they’re just pretty badly designed Pokemon in general. Extremely bland imho.
Maybe Arita’s Alto Mare artworks are (in part) so good because there is so much detail in the background that distracts the viewer from the boring Pokemon?

4 Likes

Thrown a vote in for the newly-added Latias…easily one of the best.

As for why there are so many “meh” arts for Latias/Latios, I just think it’s down to the artists that have been chosen. There are so many CG or just passable artworks. I don’t necessarily agree that that are too boring a design to get good arts as there are a lot of other more forgettable, non-dynamic Pokemon designs that don’t receive any flak for it and still get good card arts.

2 Likes

it could also be on the part of the art directors for these cards. Maybe they’re telling the artists to incorporate the Alto Mare setting which would result in so many “samesy” artwork that doesn’t feel too inspiring.

compared to Muk?

1 Like

How this poll feels

18 Likes

Oh no, they’re planes…I never realized they’re supposed to be planes…

6 Likes

Yes, compared to Muk, for example.

5 Likes

I hate the arm design of Latias and Latios. Just so strange.

I get that they’re multifunctional, but they look so odd when they’re not tucked in.

1 Like

indeed.

3 Likes

Latias arms seem fine here.

5 Likes

So these things don’t have feet? They’re permanently stuck flying?

1 Like

Still a weirdly designed set of characters

2 Likes

lol i suppose. I never think too much about a pokemon’s physiology

2 Likes

Latios and Latias are weird looking and have weird proportions. Their cards are uninspiring and boring. It’s the same 3 poses over and over again.

1 Like