Do you use anti moisture packs for storing your collection?

Hey Guys

I just read a Reddit thread where somebody recommend putting silica anti moisture packs in the boxes where you store your collection.
What are your experiences with that? Is it useful? Does it even matter? Do you personally use them?

I have the small silica gel packets slipped in the boxes and also in the binders (there is a gap where the zip closes). I am unsure if it helps but it may do its job and also provides some peace of mind. I don’t think there are any unfavorable effects of having them, so why not and they are pretty inexpensive.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I’d recommend using a hydrometer so you can try and manage what you need. Humidity fluctuates so much on time of year and where you live. If the humidity is already under 50% you’re probably fine. If it is more than add more silica. If you store all your cards in a closet you can use a dehumidifier at times instead of silica. Things being too dry can also damage cards.

3 Likes

Never even really considered this but I’m glad someone brought the idea to my attention. Thanks for posting this @genchiro.

Since we’re on the topic, I’ll ask the stupid question: is this mainly for raw cards or would it actually be beneficial for slabs as well? This interests me because I live in Florida where half the year the humidity is through the roof (quite literally), although I will be moving to San Diego which will help with that issue hopefully.

1 Like

If you live close to the sea it’s also a good idea to get a salt meter.

If you aren’t using rechargeable silica beads and drying them out every week or so, then you’re probably not making a difference

The little moisture packs are designed for single-use in a small space (ie. shipping). After they become saturated with moisture, they do nothing.

For ideal storage, you want to avoid really rapid swings in temperature and high levels of humidity because that leads to condensation. If you are really concerned about humidity, either look into getting a dry cabinet or an actual dehumidifier which is designed to take moisture out if a room instead of a shoebox

6 Likes

I use small silica packets in my graded card pile. For the rest of my collection I dont bother. Most of my other stuff are artist binders and puting silica packets in those doesnt make much sense to me

I can’t be bothered.

My recommendations

2 Likes

I never once thought to use a humidity control cabinet like that. Thats a really good idea. My daughter is starting to get to the age where she is constantly going through everything. If she ever gets loose in the man cave that would give me some peace of mind lol.

1 Like