Do shill bidders deter you from bidding on PWCC items?

Topic.

Finding it more difficult lately to bid on items that I know are being shilled. I suppose at the end of the day, bid what you’re willing to bid and nothing more.

Edit: yes i snipe :wink:

1 Like

I just snipe to prevent someone shilling my bid or nibbling. They could still nibble at other early bidders.

You could just put your max and walk away but more often than not it gets nibbled at whereas the nibbler has false security if you haven’t bid and you can often win items much lower than your max bid

I guess this works too

It’s likely the consigners doing the shilling.

@two, to avoid this, I’d recommend sniping. Use snipe tools (for example Gixen) and place the maximum price you’re willing to pay. You don’t even have to have your computer turned on and it’ll bid for you automatically at the last few seconds.

I’d have to warn you that these are server-based and in the unfortunate scenario, with servers down during the final moments of the auction, the bid may not be sent. Mostly 99.5% success rate to my knowledge though.

2 Likes

I just don’t bid on PWCC period XD not a fan of their strange system for shipping, and their auctions always seem to end at the most awkward times in the middle of the night. Buy It Now listings for the win. Quick and easy.

6 Likes

Not really, but that’s because I’m not going for higher-end cards so in my mind there’s less chance of shill bidding (or at least it won’t be as much). I recently bought something from a seller who I later found out has shill bid in the past and, while I initially felt like I overpaid, ultimately I’m happy with the card.

I suppose there’s an argument to be made that if the winner pays then they’re happy with the price, but obviously it’s just scummy all around, and in my opinion it’s also about trying not to give shill bidders the result they want.

1 Like

Regardless

True, higher final prices means higher profits for them as well.

Essentially useless to report PWCC… eBay doesn’t want to lose their business

As someone else in the UK I completely agree with this. I’ll only buy from PWCC if I absolutely have to, but their shipping costs are ridiculous. It’s a rare case when I say I’d prefer it if they used eBay’s GSP service - it’d probably be cheaper.

3 Likes

Imagine reporting PWCC for shill bidding…Jesus Christ

6 Likes

#roasted @fourthstartcg,

Not at all, I bid whatever I´m comfortable with paying.

Exactly. At the end of the day, pay what you want to pay and nothing more

I just gixen what i want with my maximum bid, and tend to ignore the shilling fiesta…

4 Likes

I actually tought until I saw this post that shipping was a lot cheaper for everyone else then Norway, like most auctions have 35$ - 50$ shipping no matter the card

Knowing that shill bidders exist prevents me from having an “I’m going to win this auction no matter what” stance.

But as long as you target a price you’d be happy to pay for a card then there’s nothing wrong with bidding that amount.

2 Likes

Shilling keeps me from bidding from ANYTHING on ebay. I make offers for OBO or I snipe (putting my max bid in an app to be placed in the final moments) if there is an auction.

360 no scope these suckers all day. Can you share a listing you believe was shilled?

3 Likes