Do cards lose their magic after you buy them?

It goes without saying, but if the dopamine hit comes from winning/finding the card and not from actually owning it and spending time looking at it, you may be battling a collecting/shopping addiction. There is a very fine line between having goals and feeling drawn to completing them and pathological behavior that will drain your excitement and finances.

In the U.S., we have a national hotline for mental health and substance use referrals: SAMHSA’s National Helpline | SAMHSA

SAMHSA’s National Helpline, 1-800-662-HELP (4357) (also known as the Treatment Referral Routing Service), or TTY: 1-800-487-4889 is a confidential, free, 24-hour-a-day, 365-day-a-year, information service, in English and Spanish, for individuals and family members facing mental and/or substance use disorders. This service provides referrals to local treatment facilities, support groups, and community-based organizations.

Also visit the online treatment locator, or send your zip code via text message: 435748(HELP4U) to find help near you. Read more about the HELP4U text messaging service.

I would also recommend taking a one-month hiatus from purchasing. It was a breath of fresh air for me. Renewed my interests, helped me to appreciate what I have, saved me money and time, etc.

8 Likes