Different language Pikachu

I’m trying to find a copy of the German Birthday Pikachu black star promo Holo from 2001. It’s the last version I need. I recently acquired a French version which is also extremely rare. Does anyone have any release info on the card or any websites to even locate the card?

1 Like

I found this on the German eBay ( well it is not exactly eBay) but I do know that it is a local secondary market website and it is reliable.

You can check for others in there. Probably @Ratequaza will know more about the website.

Edit: well the card is from Celebrations as pointed by @joponnes . Sorry!

Cheers!

2 Likes

I think we should summon @quuador

3 Likes

That’s a celebrations copy so not the one op is looking for this time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is correct. I did not double check.

Cheers!

1 Like

Have only seen 6 birthday pikas (:de:) so far in my time collecting. A lot of people are looking for it, including me. All people i know, will not sell. There is no site you will find it.

4 Likes

Do you have any release information on how it was distributed to the public? Also would it be worth visiting Germany and going to card shops in hopes of finding one. I’m leaving for the UK in two months for two weeks and have considered just adding a couple days on the trip to Germany to see if I could even locate it

Also would it be worth visiting Germany and going to card shops in hopes of finding one

As a German, apart from there not being that many card shops selling singles anyway, they’ll surely not have cards that rare just lying around. So no, that wouldn’t make much sense imo. Your best bet is probably to connect with some German high end collectors on social media or at card shows.

1 Like

If you know of any please feel free to PM me to get in contact with some. Also since you are German do you own this card or know of any websites to buy rare German cards. Also looking for Pichu

The thing about most cards this rare (not just German) is that you can’t just head to a website and buy them usually, many sales in that sphere happen privately between collectors. Anyway regarding German collectors I do follow some sealed collectors, but I don’t think I know anyone having a major collection of German WotC singles unfortunately.

2 Likes

Although regarding the Pichu: They aren’t cheap, but there are several for sale on Cardmarket assuming you mean the Wizards Promo 35. So that card is more common.

2 Likes

As Ratequaza says, no local shop or website will have that card laying around. Im searching multiple years for it. I know the whereabouts of 5/6 of the cards I’ve seen, but like I said, no one will sell them. Still hoping im seeing one randomly on ebay in a binder :sweat_smile:.

Pichu is way more common than the birthday pikachu, you can just go on ebay.com and buy one (Keyword: pichu german wotc 35).

Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly how the German version was distributed. I always believed there was a “create-a-card” campaign.

2 Likes

I appreciate all of the information from both of you, it was extremely helpful. I do believe that there is a very slim chance I’ll own the German Birthday Pikachu unless I randomly find it in a bulk collection like you said as well. The two people I’ve reached out to that owns one will not regardless of the offer. I spoke to someone that sold a few of them a few years ago and said they are definitely out there it’s just going to take some time to find them. A couple American collectors have them so hopefully in the future they will be willing to part.

1 Like

I see you like togetic like myself. How rare is this French copy I’ve come across?

Hi, I am a french collector so I can answer. This Togetic is unlimited so it is not as rare as the 1st edition one.
However, French Neo cards and even more holos are still very rare, especially in NM/M condition.

PS : TBE in the title means “Très bon état” = Very good condition

2 Likes

Thanks for the summon, but I’m afraid @quackcollection already nailed it. I’ve only seen five copies of the German Birthday Pikachu in the 9 years I’ve been collecting thus far, and I am happy to say one of those five copies is in my collection. FWIW though, it’s still my most expensive bought card thus far, mostly because another German collector was bidding against me (I bought it for ~4.8k USD mid 2021 if you must know). I do think I overpaid, but at the same time I’m happy the hunt is over considering the few copies available; the mystery and lack of information surrounding its release; and the amount of other collectors interested.

Although I don’t know too many German collectors, I still know more people looking for this card than having seen pictures of actual copies of this card.
Unfortunately, certain foreign WotC era promos are among the toughest cards to find in the hobby… :slightly_frowning_face: As well as information in general about their releases.

Greetz,
Quuador

10 Likes

Very interesting. Do you happen to know how the italian version was released? It seems pretty common.

I know I’ve messaged with you a couple of times and I don’t want to seem like a bother but what website did you get into a bidding war with the German collector for the birthday pika? Also is there any European websites you can point me to that I can possibly pick up different pikas and possibly one day see if a German copy shows up. Thank you @quuador

The German Pikachu is extremely rare, the German Pichu is very rare. I own both cards but would only consider selling the Pichu (I own two copies of each card). I am a German collector but bought them from a Suisse one.

4 Likes

Hello @PokemonProfessor would it be possible to see your birthday pikachu? Feel free to send me a PM or I can if you’d like. Owning two copies is absolutely amazing. I’d like to have a conversation about them. Just to gain some more insight about them. I’m absolutely fascinated by it. The Pichu you are talking about is the wotc promo or neo Genesis?

1 Like