Differences Between English And Japanese (Artworks In The) Sets

So, I wanted to grow up my collection and started this hell: I’m comparising english and japanese sets to discover the exclusive artworks and holos that went lost (or gained) from the translactions of the cards.

Any contribute to this list is very appreciated.

Generation 1:

• Base Set: 102 for both, I don’t bother, it’s the same.*

• Jungle: 64 - 48. Quick math: 16 holos that we gained as rares without the holos.

• Fossil: 62 - 48. Less quick math: we gained 15 rares non holos and lost the holo mew, released later as a promo, screw you wotc

• Team Rocket: 83 (82+1) - 65. Reverse math: we gained 17 rares non holo and the big boy: dark raichu, screw you japan

• Base Set 2, nobody likes you, and you didn’t make it in japan so it’s not a matter of this topic.

• Gym Sets, oh boi this was big. I had to take the 4 sets side by side and cross the same artworks.
    I’m not going to divide them. 132+132 - 98+96.
    We lost:
    – Imakuni?'s Doduo
    – _'s Chansey
    But we gained:
    #21 Brock’s Onix
    #22 Brock’s Rhyhorn
    #23 Brock’s Sandslash
    #24 Brock’s Zubat
    #25 Erika’s Clefairy
    #27 Lt. Surge’s Electabuzz
    #28 Lt. Surge’s Raichu
    #29 Misty’s Cloyster
    #30 Misty’s Goldeen
    #32 Misty’s Tentacool
    #35 Blaine’s Growlithe
    #38 Brock’s Geodude
    #40 Brock’s Graveler
    #46 Erika’s Gloom
    #47 Erika’s Oddish
    #51 Lt. Surge’s Raticate
    #52 Lt. Surge’s Spearow
    #54 Misty’s Psyduck
    #55 Misty’s Seaking
    #56 Misty’s Starmie
    #59 Sabrina’s Jynx
    #63 Blaine’s Ponyta
    #67 or 68 Brock’s Mankey (missing image, couldn’t check)
    #71 Brock’s Sandshrew
    #75 Erika’s Bellsprout
    #77 Erika’s Exeggcute
    #81 Lt. Surge’s Pikachu
    #82 Lt. Surge’s Rattata
    #87 Misty’s Poliwag
    #88 Misty’s Seel
    #89 Misty’s Shellder
    #90 Misty’s Staryu
    #93 Sabrina’s Gastly
    #97 Blaine’s Quiz #1
    The First Four Gym Leaders non holo
    6 Energy (Fighting, Fire, Grass, Lightning, Psychic, Water)

#32 Blaine’s Dodrio
#52 Lt. Surge’s Electrode
#55 Sabrina’s Haunter
#59 Sabrina’s Mr. Mime
#60 Blaine’s Charmander
#62 Blaine’s Growlithe
#66 Blaine’s Vulpix
#86 Lt. Surge’s Voltorb
#93 Sabrina’s Abra
#94 Sabrina’s Abra
#95 Sabrina’s Drowzee
#96 Sabrina’s Gastly
#111 Blaine’s Quiz #2
#116 Master Ball
#117 Max Revive
#124 Fervor
The Next Four Gym Leaders non holo
6 Energies (same ones)

Genetation 2:

• Neo Genesis: 111 - 96. We gained the Premium File 1 (9 cards) and 6 more energies into the set.

• Neo Discovery: 75 - 56. Ok, this is fun.
    We got almost all the 19 holos as non holo. Except: Espeon and Umbreon, we got the Neo File 2 exclusive artworks. We also got the 3 Unown from Premium File 2 (N, E and O)
    We lost: Butterfree and Beedrill holographics, released as just rares, alongside with the Ruin Wall showing Aerodactyl. Also, the Dark Raichu we got on rocket landed in japan with this set.
    Honorable mention here to the others premium 2 cards: Pichu and Entei made it outside of japan as promo. Eevee and Charizard didn’t.

• Neo Revelation: 66 (64+2) - 57. Also fun.
    We got: Premium File 3 YEY! (9 cards).
    We lost: Starmie, Aerodactyl and Kingdra status of holo. And sadly the celebi we got from PF3 is not holo either.

• Neo Destiny: 113 (105+8) both, to me it’s the same. GG next.

Generation 2.5:

• Expedition: 165 - 128. This is where the game might end. I can’t find pics of japanese full sets, so I can’t go much further with this.
    But in english we got: the 6 starters final form rares non holo (in japan released as holo in the lottery promotion), the 6 middle form of the starters and 12 cards for the base form of the starters, 2 of each. Plus we got 8 energies (adding Metal and Darkness to the set) and 5 trainers (Energy Search, Full Heal, Moo-Moo Milk, Potion and Switch) now with the “new” layout.

• Aquapolis: 182 (32+147+3) - 182 (92+87+3). This SHOULD be the same, I’ll do better investigation.

• Skyridge: 182 (32+144+6) - 182 (88+3+88+3). Same as above.

.* I’m not counting errors and variants (like the starfoil holo instead of the cosmo holo, the golden borders that went banana, or other minor differences, but if you want to make it big, i’ll make it big)

WIP from gen 2.5 onwards…
WIP for the promos and theme decks/trainer kits too…

3 Likes

I remember trying to do this a couple years ago and giving up when I got to the gym sets :joy:
I’m sure this took quite a bit of time (and will continue to take time) so I appreciate you going through the trouble!

1 Like

Gym were hard. But with pokellector as a reference I could figure out which cards were missing (took about an hour to do with a bunch of screenshot, would have been faster with printed pages, or a double screen).
I’m starting to cry with e-series cause I lost my reference.
I don’t want so search every single card, one at a time, to see if we got one holo instead of another.

Added Expedition, but I’m not quite sure about it being complete…

1 Like