Did PSA Overgrade this Card?

Would greatly appreciate some opinions about this card; I sent in thinking it would get a 6 or a 7, but it graded an NM 8. The front of the card is very nice, but the edge wear is pretty bad. What do you guys think? And please be brutally honest. :wink:

I’m no expert by any means, but it looks like a psa 8 to me. The card has a strong front and good centering, the only problem I see is the edge wear, like you said. So It must of fit PSA’s criteria for an 8. Nice card! I love the shinning Charizard! I will be adding a 1st edition psa 9 to my collection eventually.

1 Like

I don’t think an 8 is unfair, especially with a good looking front. Although it’s definitely sitting closer to a 7 than a 9.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some worse 8’s than the one you show! That looks solid, but I understand the whitening on the back is very annoying

1 Like

Definitely deserves no less than a strong 7 or weak 8 IMO

1 Like

Thanks everyone! :blush: Greatly appreciate the input. I haven’t sent that many cards to PSA, so I’m still trying to get a feel for their standards, particularly on cards that fall below a 9 or a strong 8 condition-wise. My concern was that the card was grossly over graded, but I’m happy that it appears to fit comfortably in the 7-8 range.

Even if I were to be extremely picky, I couldn’t give that card any less than a 7.5 from the pictures you provided.

While it’s possible you have seen PSA 6-7 cards with similar edge/corner wear, they probably had centering issues or surface damage.

If it was graded by BGS, it would probably get 9-10 Centering 9-10 Surface 7-8 Edges 7-8 Corners, so it’s right in that ballpark. :blush:

I don’t spot scratching on the shiny portion and the centering is spot on, it’s a very presentable card and IMO it’s worthy of the grade it received.

1 Like

Looks totally fine for a 8

1 Like

noooooooooooo

1 Like

E4 has officially turned into a PSA forum.

3 Likes

if thats an 8 my 8s are 9s, but ive seen alot of 8s looking like that so maybe my 8s should actually be 9s who knows

1 Like

All my 9s should be 10s;)

3 Likes

Wow, my 8 is on par with that? That frustrates me

1 Like