Darkness Energy Holo Variations?

Hello friends,

I found some great Darkness Energy reverse holo’s from the set Ex Ruby and Sapphire, but instead of the regular plain reverse holofoil, they were printed with the galaxy holofoil and had beautiful swirls displayed on them. I only realized there were normal reverse holo and these galaxy holo energies upon posting them to my Instagram page and receiving a message from someone saying they didn’t know there were galaxy holos printed. I can’t find any additional information, and there is a psa 10 copy on eBay with the “normal” reverse holofoil, and the PSA label is identical to the labels of the two I have, though the holo is different and a galaxy holo, and there is no difference I could find on any official set lists.

So, any thoughts? Is this common for Pokémon company to do, or was it just a mistake on the card print? It’s interesting at least, and I didn’t take notice until someone brought it to my attention. I’ll leave links to pictures of the cards for reference.

Galaxy Holo #1 imgur.com/gallery/qY134pC
Galaxy holo #2 imgur.com/gallery/VfnM2QI
“Normal” reverse holo energy: imgur.com/gallery/O6fSnek

Oddly enough, these 3 pictured represent the only 3 darkness energies graded in PSA 10 from the ex ruby & sapphire set. Thanks for any helpful info guys.

1 Like

I’m actually curious about this too. I have a couple Multi Energies from Sandstorm that have the cosmos foil (without all those swirls, though) rather than the standard shiny RH print.

Atleast I know it’s not exclusive to one set now, ty for the comment :muscle:t2:

These are league promos, not reverse holos.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure @zorloth already gave the correct answer, but just in case I’ll tag two Energy collectors who might have more information: @credits @risingtrout

Greetz,
Quuador

1 Like

I’m not an energy collector, so I’m sure those people can give some details that I don’t have :blush:. And I’d be very curious to hear. But the details that I’m aware of as someone who collects master sets is that these were promos that were released through leagues in late 2003/early 2004. For Ruby Sapphire, there is also a Metal Energy. And for Sandstorm, there is a Multi Energy. And for all of these, there also winner-stamp variants, which are worth a bit more. But these are pretty common, inexpensive promos. Not totally worthless, but much easier to find than some of the other early Gen 3 promos (like the EX Dragon champs Charizard or prerelease Gyarados). They are very beautiful, though!

2 Likes

For some reason, I didn’t put two-and-two together that they might be related to the Winner promos, despite literally having browsed through my Winner promos (which obviously include the same three Special Energy with the same cosmos foil) within the last couple days.

However, I guess it’s certainly consistently true in this hobby that a minor detail could mean a major difference in release circumstances and price point.

1 Like

So is the PSA label mislabeled then? I was aware of the winner promos, which are gorgeous, and that does make a lot of sense now if they are just promos. Thanks all!

1 Like

Correct :blush:. PSA has a bad track record with the early EX Series. Like half of the Blaziken 3/109 holos they’ve graded are actually the Battle Stadium variant without the e-Reader symbol. I think they basically just label the cards however the submitter labels them.

1 Like

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EX_Ruby_%26_Sapphire_(TCG)you can see the information for them here

PSA won’t grade them as promos unless its the winner, same with the Metal energy and the multi from ex sandstorm.

here both set that I still have in my energy collection. I remember picking these up when it mention league promo according to seller listing in 2017.

4 Likes

That’s quite lame lol

1 Like