Constant Ebay Offers

Im also selling a van that is an auction and got this message. I think he wants to give me £300 and I can keep the engine?

2 Likes

If someone asks a stupid question give them a stupid answer (double /triple the prices elsewhere), or ignore.:grin:

My pet peeve is when people try to tell me why my card is worth what they are asking to pay… “That’s off centered there is no way it’s getting more than an 8, So I’ll offer X” and “a reprint is coming so you should jump on this.” Lol

I don’t know how to feel other than annoyed and pissed off when I read stuff like that.

But if they low-ball me I assume they are trying to get me to shoot back with the best price I’d accept. In that case I just respond back with more than the price I’d like.

Poetry. Robert Burns would be proud.

2 Likes

What I do is just list everything at significantly above the lowest price I’d take, and enable the best offer option. I find that buyers tend to message me to negotiate anyway, regardless of whether or not the best offer option is enabled. So I prefer to just have the option enabled and start from a position of greater leverage. The other upside to this is that a large portion of buyers will still purchase at asking price without sending an offer.

You also get way fewer messages this way – and when you have ~1500 active listings (let alone if you have more), it saves a lot of time.

1 Like

Just have a refuse value below certain offers. Job done.

OP is talking about getting messages even without BO enabled.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve been selling on eBay a while now. There is not enough time or sanity to entertain all the stupidity and lowballing on eBay. Be polite with reasonable offers. Ignore or say no to unreasonable offers.

I’ve had the same dude message me lowball offers on my slabs for like 3 months now. It’s always a different item, idk if he just shotguns these off and forgets I’ve told him no multiple times or does it on purpose.

i’d guess it’s a Spray and Pray. probably doesn’t even bother IDing or remembering who he’s emailing.
also went to college with a few dudes who approached bar scenes in this same manner. kinda funny when you inadvertently approach the same gal 3x in one night and each time she gives you a different name.

In most “best offer” listings, obviously set the minimum you would take. Anyone who goes lower than that I would ignore like most others said. I understand we all want a good deal but no one has time for that…

I can but only now read it in a poetic manner

Turn “Best Offer” on and set the auto decline to just below your asking price, so that it will auto decline people for you instead of them opting to head straight to your inbox and bothering you.

This is what I do as well. If they can put some effort in, then I’m more likely to put effort in. For anyone who just messages “whats your best price” or “would you take (50% less)” literally has no effort. Also people should fabricate a genuine offer message if they are truly interested. Best price messages are time wasters and hard for me to even respond to that at all. Unless your item is intentionally overpriced, I’d ignore these types.

It’s very clear. He wants to fix it for you, and then give you £300. How generous:)

2 Likes

Honesty I would just write a copy paste message somewhere that mentions politely the price is firm at this time. Even though their offer might be insulting, by responding they have a higher chance of buying from you in the future.

1 Like

First time listing some cards for sale and I’m getting “what’s the lowest you’d take/best price” questions. Best offer is open, auto decline, people still just head straight to the mailbox. It is what it is. Literally just listed it a day or two ago, no research or offer even sent.

Also not a fan when people say your listed price is too high. Kinda feel like that’s why there’s a best offer option there, if you don’t want to buy at the BIN price, send me an offer.

Edit: I have so much respect for the all the sellers now, especially the long-term ones, this is incredibly frustrating talking to people who can’t be bothered to do any research.

3 Likes

Best to just not respond as a sale is very unlikely to occur. Try not to let it get to you. Indifference is very powerful. Don’t feed the trolls.

3 Likes

I used to answer politely, sometimes accept an offer, but then i realized I was part of the problem. I was reaffirming that doing this kinda stuff can lead to good results. IE Positive reinforcement. Now I basically ignore anything other than a sold prompt telling me it’s time to mail something. No, I’m not saying sending offers is inherently bad, or that “what is the lowest____” messages make you a bad person. They’re just not for me. They wear you out and more often than not you’re sifting through 10 bad offers to one worth considering, so may as well just ignore them all until the demand/market catches up to your asking price.

2 Likes

Yer to say im feeling worn out is pretty accurate, the offers come with no effort and I actually find myself wasting time working out if the person is worthy of an offer or what I could do them for. Yes some of my cards are a little expensive like 10-15% but its not because of offers, its because they are at a price I would sell them for, otherwise id rather keep them due to attachement. This is what im telling most people. Also some have little sales history to price from. I also feel i’m encouraging the problem by answering the people in the first place as you say. It was just to avoid any spiteful ebayers.

These are the ones bothering me as they come with the potential of a big sale, but they make no effort with offering and im also unsure if I want to risk selling multiple cards to the same person.

'Hey mate I’m interested in flareon , psa 9 alakazam psa 9 poliwrath & psa9 magneton

If you can do me a deal I’ll take them all thanks :blush:

'Hi there!

I´m interested in your PSA 10 Rocket 1st Pokemon Holo cards. Any chance you can give me a good price including delivery to germany if I buy them all? (Dark Arbok, Dark Vileplume, Dark Weezing, Dark Slowbro)’

The later I just replied with, what do you class as a good price