Comparing Pokemon with sports cards - population

Hi guys,

I am thinking of investing a bit more in Pokémon these days and I have the following question to anyone who has been collecting sports cards:

A lot of the Baseball/Basketball cards I saw online with interesting price-points (i.e. 20k) were cards with population of about 10 across all the grades (not to mention cards like Honus Wagner). When I look at Pokemon base set across all the 4 runs, there are hundreds or thousands of cards graded. I am aware of sports cards being more isolated (particularly in the US) but do sports cards with higher population (i.e. 2k) sell and increase in price as well? Are they considered a good investment?

If not - is Pokémon a novel case with such a huge increase albeit the high population?

Thanks for any input!

Jordan rookie would be one such card with a very large population that continues to move higher. One example of a card with a huge population that NEVER moves would be www.ebay.com/itm/184340840255

1 Like

Impressive numbers, 18k overall pop! What is the going rate for the Fleer 1986 Jordan then?

For a psa 10 on the Jordan they were around $15k in 2017, $20k in 2018, $30k in 2019 and since the last dance they’ve gone pretty insane upwards of $100k now.

1 Like

On another note, I am fairly surprised that the LBJ Topps Chrome Base 2003 (basically the 1986 Jordan Fleer RC of our generation) keeps on dipping - before LBJ’s 4th ring was won and now after.

When will it go back up I wonder - upon his retirement?

1 Like

Basketball took a huge dip in the last month or so regardless of the player. Besides notable exceptions like Kobe, most modern players and HoFers saw some sort of a downturn. I would not be worried however. This year much of the basketball card market increased 10 fold, and saw a small market correction at the end of the season. This is normal as sports fans have turned their focus onto football as the season is in full swing. By next year when basketball comes back, those numbers will be right back to where they were before.

Questions like this need to go in the Giant Market Thread!

www.elitefourum.com/t/before-you-post-a-thread-in-price-and-market-discussion/29138/1

Generally, if you’re asking us to pull out our market crystal ball, your post should be there :wink: