Charizard 4/102 base set shadowless for 71 eu? To get scammed or not to get scammed

It is me again!
I just wanted to get your advice about a card. Again
So, i browsed through Marketplace and there was a Charizard 4/102 availble. Posted almost 2h ago.
The title is something like “dragon charizard card”
and the description “found in the attic, still a good card. For sale for a good offer”
and i believe his initial price was 4,00 eu. Four, yes. Correct. 4.
So i messaged him, he said his highest bid now was 70, i could get it for 75. I didnt respond immediately, and after a minute he said “71 is also ok?”
I asked for extra pics, but the card was already packaged.

So, i am not the biggest fire dragon expert, but i do believe that this would be “THE” Zard, no?
Or, one of the most valuable one’s? Please correct me if im wrong ofcourse!

There are two options:
It’s a scammer, because we all know… when something is too good to be true… or?
And it being packaged… the 2nd message in a minute saying “71 eu is also ok”
But it’s not a new profile, i see other ad’s, not Pokemon related, so the second option could be he found his childhood card and really has no clue of the value. He has a overall good score (is that what you call it?) i see some 1-3 stars reviews, but he still has a average of 4 or 5 stars (out of 5)

I did a reverse image search, no results. I’ll double check it again to be sure.
Normally I’d bite. But i learned my lesson.
This is the image. Sorry guys, i do believe its my 2nd topic in like 2 days about a card i saw online, but y’all just know the best!

1 Like

If it’s too good to be true, it’s most likely fake. Another thing to know is that 1st Ed Base Set Charizard is very rarely a card someone would have by accident or “in an attic”. It’s just not one of those cards IMO. For most people, it was only a thing of legend when you were a kid growing up.

7 Likes

I would not engage. Usually when people “find something in their attic” they look up comparable listings to get an idea for a price. General rule of thumb, if it’s too good to be true, it isnt.

4 Likes

Good tags, I appreciate it :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’d guess you have less than a 1% chance of receiving that card if you bought it. For some people that is enough for them to buy it, but I definitely wouldn’t.

2 Likes

Very true!

Hah thanks! I’m learning!

1 Like

Exactly!
I dont have 71-ish euro’s just layin" around, so…

also true! i mean, even if your not into pokemon now, most people would remember if the "attic “Zard” was one of their rare cards back then.

1 Like

I looked up the listing you are referencing and it is has all the red flags. When buying pokemon on marktplaats, make sure that the account has references in pokemon. It happens quite often actually that old accounts on marktplaats get hacked (the password system was changed only 7/8 years ago, all passwords before that could be easily cracked). Then get used for their feedback to easily scam people, then get abandoned after the negative feedbacks kick in. If you would like to the gamble (you are facing lottery odds here), make sure to use the gelijk oversteken function, to make sure you do not get scammed.

2 Likes

ooooh wow! i mean the listing itself was shady, because cheap price, doesnt have extra photos etc etc all the things said above. But i didnt even think about hacked accounts! Good one

I have also heard of instances of hacked accounts being used for selling (specifically stolen bikes), since they target old accounts with pretty high feedback. This account seems to deviate for the pattern of what the person regularly sells on Markplaats.

One way to call the bluff is to ask if you can meet in person to make the deal? I have always done my deals in person on Markplaats, so maybe its a safe way to test the waters.

Cheers!

1 Like

I refuse to believe anyone who has enough knowledge about Pokémon, that they know where to go to sell a card, somehow doesn’t know what a 1st edition charizard is

8 Likes

Did you find this on Marktplaats? It’s 100% a scam, He gave me the exact same story a few weeks ago (it was already packaged so he couldn’t make pictures anymore etc). When I said I would pay him €300 instead of €70, he said that was too much and that €70 was enough…
I’m thinking maybe he bought the account he listed it on, or it’s a hacked account like @thymeee mentioned

8 Likes

Good guy scammer doesn’t want too much of your money

5 Likes

Bizar! Yes it was Marktplaats. Such a a**hole…
I didnt even think about hacked/stolen accounts before two of you mentioned it today.