CGC Grading

Will they grade my PSA 10 case?

Who wouldn’t want a CGC 10, PSA 10 encapsulated card.

8 Likes

Gradeception.

3 Likes

Correct. Gold label means it had to be witnessed by a cgc employee or done at a private signing with cgc reps in charge. This is my guess for the cards as well. Gold label for all witnessed (including cards from packs like panini etc that have autos) and green label (qualified) for all of our Arita sigs lol

Off topic from above I’m mostly hoping for pack grading that doesn’t take 100 business days and come back with folded over destroyed packs.

They have a long road ahead of them.

What is interesting to note is that in the coin grading world they had the exact same issue with the consistency of grading changing over time. People would search for “weak” graded coins and then get them regraded because a small change in the grade mark could add thousands of dollars of value to the coin. So you could in theory, go to coin shows and then hand examine hundreds of slabbed coins. If you found a “weak” graded coin then you could buy the coin at the lower price, get it regraded and hopefully get the “correct” grade then sell the coin for the higher price.

Sound familiar with people cracking slabbed cards for a regrade?

So in the coin world what happened was a brand new grading company started called CAC. What they do is take existing graded coins, examine the coin and then give the coin either a green sticker or gold sticker. Green sticker means it is very good for the grade marked on the slab. If the coin is likely to go up to the next grade it receives a gold sticker. Here is the kicker: for coins that are “weak” for their grade, they cannot get ANY sticker at all.

The end result is that it basically gutted the existing dynamics of the graded coin market because any coin that didn’t have the green or gold CAC sticker was automatically deemed to be a “weak” coin for its grade. Buyers now viewed these coins as inferior to coins that had the CAC sticker so they end up selling for less. Coins that got the green or gold sticker increased in value.

CAC or any similar company could enter the market for TCG and the same thing would happen to the TCG market. This is my speculation as to why people are so concerned with “weak” PSA cards now.

5 Likes

I watched the video and was going to ask what if they are only grading baseball cards to start? Then watched it again and seen the yellow border, then watched it again and paused on an obvious Charizard. Ok answered my own question. Just incase anyone else missed it or maybe it was just me.

2 Likes

more competition is always good imo. keeps psa and bgs on their toes

1 Like

17 Likes

Interesting!.. I hope they recognise the Base 2000 Print unlike another grading service… :unamused:

1 Like

I highly doubt this will happen. While PSA has legitimate issues, they are the best grading option we have in the market and that is reflected in the prices. BGS has some consistency around 9.5 and up, but for lower grades they’re totally out in the woods. Pokemon doesn’t have truly competitive grading market, and even if CGC does everything right I doubt they’ll make a dent. People understand variation in grades, I’d avoid mistaking instagram chatter for actual demand within the hobby.

2 Likes

“I’d avoid mistaking instagram chatter for actual demand within the hobby.” Couldn’t say this enough. Instagram is a massive echo chamber, although guess you could argue that e4 is one too. :confounded:

4 Likes

CGC is a well respected company for graded comics and coins. The cases look well made and attractive enough from the promo video. I look forward to seeing their impact on the card hobby in general and what benefits they will offer over the competition.

3 Likes

This is awesome for the hobby. Hopefully they will be able to provide character labels for Pokemon like they do for comics.

I think, at least for Pokemon they have made a mistake with the grading system, not sure if sports collectors will feel the same. Who wants a 9.5 label when you can have a 10 even if they are the same grade. But, if they produce a high quality product that people want maybe they can change the market view.

Imagine Michael Jordan signing with CGC staff on hand and your card comes with a nice gold label with an NBA logo and an image of Jordan. That is going to look so sweet.

Pokemon is probably harder because of the rules for the artists. But if they could do that for Pokmeon like Arita with a Pokemon logo and a Charizard image. Imagine how that would look on social media let alone your collection.

No matter what happens, I think they will up the game for the card grading companies.

3 Likes

Sorta Intrigued by these guys too.

1 Like

CGC Seems pretty well versed in private signings, I could see them entering the Pokemon market and really revolutionizing signing events in this hobby - if they want to go down that path and get big daddy Pokemon to cooperate.

I’ve said it before already on this post, but I’m excited to try grading with CGC. They seem genuinely interested in collectables as a whole.

4 Likes

Didn’t SGC used to be a part of the Certified Collectibles Group, which is the company that owns the coin grading company NGC and coming grading CGC? Correct me if I am wrong…

Collector zard and those couple no rarities

1 Like

Is this really a 9.5 …
Look at that top left corner

Damn thats ruff!

When did they open for submissions of cards?