CGC

There’s a bunch of listings for CGC graded cards that caught my eye

Have you guys green lit CGC yet? Their slab isnt as pretty as psa and beckett but if their authentication is accepted in this community then I’m down

1 Like

CGC has definitely established itself in the market, at least short term. Long term, who knows.

2 Likes

Cases in my opinion are better than BGS and PSA. They look so much more clearer in person than PSA and don’t feel as bulky as BGS

5 Likes

Despite what some people may think(and act like) Elite Fourum is not the be all and end of all for collecting. So a ‘green light’ from the userbase here isn’t really something that should be a ‘thing’. So ‘Hey E4 thinks it’s good so it must be’ is a bit of a slippery slope, people here have been wrong before and will be wrong again in the future.

Having said that I think enough people here have had good experiences with them to warrant you trying them out yourself. Send like 10-20 cards in your first order and gauge for yourself whether you like them or not, though. I know there have been some hivemind thinks here in the past but it’s always important for you to retain your own independent thought and conviction.

My own opinion is that the label is superior to the PSA label because it allows space for actual information on it rather than PSA labels which sometimes look 100% revolting because of all the shortening, abbreviating, and word circus they have to do(because their labels were designed with sports cards in mind and not Pokemon cards).

16 Likes

I would agree to disagree in a way.

E4 isn’t the only place, but it’s the most popular forum for Pokémon collectors and knowledge seekers. You go to any FB group or IG and the people you see there are in here. I’d go here for advice before I ‘d go anywhere else pretty much. That’s just me personally.

1 Like

Well I’m all for buying in then. Thanks

Curious to how I haven’t heard of them on any of the mainstream youtube channels!

Nice… Guess I wont hesitate to scoop up CGC when I see it. Sounds legit

Just type on “Pokémon CGC returns”

Tons of videos and informative discussions throughout

1 Like

And since they are new to the Pokémon world, their slabs can be had for a fraction compared to PSA. How long that will sustain who knows. PSA will ALWAYS be superior regardless, but don’t sleep on CGC, they could pass up BGS at least?

1 Like

I perhaps worded my post poorly.

Of course this place has a lot of knowledgeable people here, and it is wise to follow sage advice from those who are experienced and ingrained in the hobby and it’s community. It was perhaps making a mountain out of a molehill, but it was more just a response to the idea of E4 ‘greenlighting’ something and that being a thing. I was trying to be cautionary but maybe not the thread for it.

1 Like

Its a simple answer and the matter of your opinion/preference and nobody else’s.

3 Likes

Wow what a killer response thank you! How is everybody so motivated to be of such service?? I joined to last night to get an idea on a couple topics I wanted input on and this forum just ran the field with each one. Seems like a great place to find like minded hobbyist!!

Ive never heard of CGC… as far as I was involved, psa and Beckett were the only 2 companies that you can grade with. My idea in this posting was to find out if people have been scammed or mishandled by this “mysterious” 3rd player in the space. Green lighting for me is asking if they were even legitimate enough to do business with or even credible at all… Discussing style of casing and comparing the sticker and stuff like that is arbitrary but still fun. Thanks for looking out man

The discussions here have been a blast. Pokemon is almost better now than when I was a kid haha

Yes they are very credible, and they have very fast turnaround times, sub grades, and the cheapest prices of all 3

1 Like

Good deal man I’m all for it thanks

1 Like

No problem, happy to help :grin:

1 Like

If youre just looking to get your cards encapsulated, then they’re great value: cheaper, faster, and better customer service. However if you’re “investing” or trying to get cards to resell later on, imo CGC still has a long way to prove itself. Even now after months since its cards hit the market, you can still find that many CGC slabs may sell at a fraction of PSA or BGS counterparts.

4 Likes

True. Brings a good opportunity to buy great cards at a cheap price though.

2 Likes

They don’t have much of a market share yet, and maybe they never will, so err on the side of caution in that regard. As for whether they’re reputable; yes. They’re a huge company and they’ve been the largest grader of vintage comics since the early 2000s I believe.

I personally sent 730 cards to them recently and my experience so far (albeit I’ve only received 6 cards back) has been that their grading standards are super consistent, they’ve well surpassed their expected turnaround times, and the cases look phenomenal in person (though I understand the gripe about their labels). With the highest tier membership it only costs $6.50/card to grade bulk, and if they can actually meet or come close to the 30 day estimated turnaround time then I’ll be sold. That said, if you want to get the greatest financial value out of your cards after they’re graded, go with PSA.

PS: Not a CGC shill.

2 Likes

People are going to argue , because some people here either bought CGC cards for 90% of the PSA price thinking ‘oh man, I am so clever getting such a deal’ , or because they sold CGC cards at PSA pricing to their buddies and don’t want to hear it.

I’m not sure what it is, but some people have an agenda because they get steaming mad when you say CGC cards sell cheap.

You send a card that would be a 9 with PSA to CGC, they give it a CGC 8.5, then you can’t even sell it for CLOSE to the price of PSA 8 lol

No matter how many cheap CGC auctions you post there is always a response too. ‘Oh, that seller only have 150 feedback, so the price went cheap’ ‘That auctioned ended at 3PM, while people were at work’

I think buying CGC cards is super smart because they grade harsh and the cases are easy to crack open. But you gotta research sold auctions on ebay to see what the cards really go for, because there are lots of people with CGC cards to sell who are very vocal!

1 Like