CGC acquires JSA, leader in Autograph Authentication

Today it was announced that CCG, owner of CGC trading cards and comic grading, has acquired JSA, leader in autograph authentication.

This is a welcomed surprise in light of the embarrassment PSA has become in the past months in autograph authenticating due to letting go their head honcho who was well versed in autos, and not having anyone with expertise to handle submissions.

After reading, it looks like they will start accepting submissions in April.

Colors, previews, rules, etc have not been released

• how will this affect the autograph market?

• will you give them a try?

• will PSA lose market share knowing a new competitor has stepped up when we need it the most? (Need it the most for those that like to slab their autos)

• will CGC use their yellow label they’ve recently used called “CGC Signature Series” that is generally issued only to items under the direct observation of a CGC representative?

More information here:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/12753/

Example of PSA not authenticating

Example of CGC Signature Series

10 Likes

I remember jsa doing autos on mini nfl helmets I bought back in high school. Very cool seeing their name!

I’ll give them a try. PSA is just embarrassing themselves at the moment, authenticating fakes and rejecting authentic autos. Besides, I really like the look of the signature series slab. Hopefully they can keep the look similar.

1 Like

Feels like signature authentication can’t get any worse atm so maybe this will add value for collectors and put pressure on PSA to improve.

3 Likes

They should just require guidelines moving forward.

Every card signed from April 2024 needs to have photographic or video proof.

1 Like

CGC pouncing on PSAs stumbles lol

https://www.cgccards.com/news/article/12753/

13 Likes

Even though I’m not a fan of CGC, I might have to start using them if PSA doesn’t fix their problem soon. Hopefully this pushes PSA to do something, but that might be wishful thinking.

Good, let’s get the competition going

8 Likes

Impressive, very nice… Let’s see CGC/JSA’s Pokemon autograph expert before I send them anything.

Uber Compass, an AR UX/UI Case Study | by Nikhil | Muzli - Design Inspiration

11 Likes

Very happy to see this! Hope there are positives that come from it, pokemon autos need a win

JSA is regarded as less than DNA in autos. The rank is UDA > DNA > JSA. I think all of them are fine, but that is the demand/value hierarchy.

3 Likes

Can upper deck really be considered in the same group as dna and jsa? They only do witnessed autos. I would say dna, Beckett and jsa are the same although I don’t know that hierarchy per se. all have been around a long time

In my opinion, it used to be DNA > Beckett > JSA for unwitnessed autographs. But for Pokemon, DNA has been called into question. I will be curious how pressure from Beckett and JSA (CGC) affect PSA.

1 Like

I don’t think the recent issues with pokemon cards and DNA are relevant at all to the total value of PSA/DNA. Signed pokemon cards are hot right now, but they are still mostly insignificant. That is a big reason why there are issues, because they are becoming more notable, from the literal 0 they were 7 or so years ago, and PSA/DNA hasn’t found a proper authority to fill that need.

@pokecollectoramy Sure I’m just sharing the information as most people here don’t collect memorabilia or just started in the past few years. As you said, UDA is in person only, and they have contracts with some of the top athlete’s. But Unfortunately I doubt Pokemon would ever collaborate with UDA, as its way outside of their comfort zone.

2 Likes

I always assumed PSA/DNA, JSA and Beckett were all lumped together as one tier, as far as sports memorabilia is concerned. At least I will refuse to buy any memorabilia that is not authenticated by one of those 3

Question about DNA/PSA:
if a PSA Authentic Altered card (e.g. edge coloring) is cracked out of the case and get signed by the artist and then submitted to DNA/PSA for authentication only (no grade) for the card, will now the label says Authentic + Auto instead (no mention of Altered, i.e. since it is implied that all autographed cards are altered cards anyway)?

Definitely will send mine to CGC in future if they get this up and running for pokemon! :grin: this is great news!

2 Likes

You’re not permitted to take photographs of artists whilst signing

3 Likes