Autos - PSA DNA Certified vs CGC Signature Series

I haven’t really dabbled in autos but will be going to my first signing event this weekend. It is still unclear if CGC will do witnessed signings for their Signature Series (yellow slab cards), but if they do, should I try for that with CGC? Or should I just wait until PSA starts doing their PSA DNA Certs again?

Which would you prefer? CGC Signature Series or PSA DNA Certified?

• CGC Signature Series
  • PSA DNA Certified
0 voters

To add a bit more info, this is for the Mitsuhira Arita event. I was thinking of holding the sketch ones for PSA and sending the plain autos to CGC if they are doing those yellow slabbed signature series ones…(maybe). I’m not much of a CGC collector and do prefer PSA. But, I may one day want to use the plain signatures for a trade to get something on my want-list and figure that would definitely make it more unique.

I use Psa and I do like them for sigs, but had CGC been at the event I went too, knowing how strict they hold their signature grading, I would have gone that way easy. Also makes it kinda special knowing these will be the only Arita CGC slabs.

1 Like

Do you have any example of CGC Signature Series?

On the other hand, it seems PSA has stopped grading signatures, I don’t know if they have started again…

Update: Nevermind: PSA stopped authentication of Pokemon autographs? - #35 by neverforget50in07

1 Like

Here is mine (unclear if it has changed since this was done before the label change from blue to black):

To the OPs question, I like knowing the auto is witnessed and reflected by the label. CGC has only done a few of these type of signings so it’s pretty cool to have IMO especially since they put the date on it. Psa/dna is obviously great too, just a standard unwitnessed autograph authentication. If it is for your PC, and you know that you obviously were there and met Arita, then it’s just personal choice since you know it’s real regardless lol

3 Likes

If CGC is already there taking autos that’s the option I would go with. If for some reason you change your mind and rather go with PSA, you can always crack and resub.

PSA is also in an acutely weird spot with pokemon autographs at the moment

4 Likes

Here is an example of the CGC signature series cards. Its basically the same case but with a yellow label.

I’m hoping PSA resumes grading signature autos soon

2 Likes

Ah ya very true. Can always crack and regrade when PSA gets out of their autograph pickle :joy:

Oh very nice! Ya I’ll see what they’re doing and check with CGC before my signing appointment. They do have a booth and a vice president employee or someone with a CGC title will be present. It would only make sense if they offer it, but if they don’t…then thats a poor play on CGC’s part.

1 Like

Unless they have a rep sitting next to arita i dont think they will offer it.

Ah thats unfortunate. A big part of me expects that from them and is probably why I have never graded anything with them. But hey, I’ll keep my expectations low and if by some miracle they do have it…then I’ll be pleasantly surprised

Yeah to my understanding CGC signsture series autos are not authenticated.

They are witnessed by CGC themselves being signed so they can Gurantee the item is authentic.

Psa jsa and beckett all offer a service called ITP “in there presence” similar to the cgc series to state like a witness they saw it be signed by the signer. Vs authenticating it after the fact.

1 Like

To be fair, if CGC isn’t willing to encase, you know you have the psa option! You’re very fortunate to meet Arita, i had the pleasure to do so last year and it was a surreal experience (as Im a huge fan ofcourse). Definitely pick up some of his original work too, they’re usually very well priced!

1 Like

Ah yes, I figured if CGC doesn’t have that signature thing I’ll just hold off and submit to PSA whenever they have their stuff together and resume grading autos like they used to do. I’ll be sure to check out his merch!

Hows the con going? Keen to see the sigs!

I just recived back a regular submission from llate desember with Arita signing from PSA, so they do grade now

1 Like

Thanks for that information! I may submit mine soon. Maybe after I do my expedited scream mimikyu (I told myself mentally that I should do that first)