Card storage vault

Automatic turrets and retinal scanners

19 Likes

i have multiple security systems, cameras, safes, dogs, guns…you would be risking your life to take some binders, and i would kill you, without hesitation. I think anyone who lives in a home and it gets broken in, the first thing you should do is pull the trigger

6 Likes

If i was building a vault i would make sure its 40 ft deep, so it can store my slabs

5 Likes

When you say vault, I am assuming a room with a safe door or commercial grade heavy duty door?

Placing the biggest baddest door onto a room does not makes it a vault or room sized safe. All sides, floor and ceiling need to be concrete or stronger. Dry Wall is not hard to bust through. If the vault is beneath the ground, you have to do ALOT of due diligence about flooding and the land shifting. You need to even consider just a pipe above the room bursting for any reason if the exact location is not prone to outside flooding. Considerations should be made for fire as well. If you want to somehow place the vault higher than ground level(2nd floor or higher), jeez you got a massive project.

Something you will not like is yes, you’ll need to get permits. That means the city is gonna be able to come and take a look at it as well as paying more in property taxes due to your addition/modification to the house. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there’s no way to do such a massive job without someone seeing it.

HVAC concerns are outside my realm. I’d imagine some kind of self contained in-room unit works best but I don’t know much on that subject especially when it comes to collectible air management.

1 Like

Sharks with lasers

2 Likes

Temperature and humidity is key. Don’t use airtight storage containers. Keep things off the ground in case of flooding. Make sure you keeps pests out.

Also: have it be hidden and only revealed when someone pulls a silver bible on the bookshelf

10 Likes

Dont just count fireproof to be fireproof. Psa cases/Booster/unprotected cards go down much easier than i thought.
Some advertising: Silversnorlax204 did a lot of cool Tests and knows a lot
A few of his tests show the Endresult in a “normal” fireproof Safe. ~80% of Fireproof Safes are useless for your beloved cards/Collection since they only have the general safety, but general safety vs heat/melting isnt enough for cards.
Since you talk about a vault ( sounds like some highend highclass stuff) i guess its a mediasafe anyway, or?
I have no clue about security vs thiefs, that is a problem i luckily dont have with my small Collection><

Make it a bank-style vault constructed using the guidelines established by the Underwriters Laboratory and make sure it receives UL’s highest classification of Class III. Of course make sure the vault is temperature, humidity and lighting controlled to ensure that your items remain in the same condition as when they were stored.

Not sure why anyone would invest in such a major project when simply placing your cards in a tupperware container with a note that says “do not eat” on it is more than enough to keep them safe.

2 Likes

Calm down bud no one is threatening you

Let’s talk about about me. Let’s talk about the 6’3 frame, the 37 inch vertical leap, the Mr. I Drink Every Night Cause I Drink To My Accomplishments In This Hobby. The Hispanic Jeff Bezos.The Ethiopian poisonous caterpillar aka SLICK PAPI, OX blood running through my viens. Lets talk about the cabinets in my room that go 40ft deep into the walls that house the other 95% of my PSA 10 COMPLETE MASTER SETS, the TROPHY CARDS, the AUTOGRAPHS. Let me give you a little inside glimpse into the hotshot, weeb life style of the greatest Pokemon Collector to grace this hobby. Because that’s what I’m all about. You are looking at the new face of E4 and GODDAMN is E4 lucky.

8 Likes

I buy extra pulp orange juice. Bold of you to think you have leverage.

4 Likes

I think this thread has been sufficiently de-railed

1 Like

Depending on the value of what you have inside card-wise, and the other valuables that you put in there (passports, cash, deeds, etc) you may want to look into getting either appropriate dry fire extinguishers and/or an automatic inert gas fire suppression system.

Ensure that the walls are fortified, not just the door. Having the best door with the best lock doesn’t matter if you can punch through the wall because it’s only particle and gypsum board.

I’d also like to do this one day. If you are going all-in, you may as well build it from the beginning as a safe room/bomb shelter that can also be used store your cards, rather than a small basement vault solely for cards, since you will need it wired anyway… for all the wires and money required for humidity and temperature control, why not have it double as a safe room.

A good source of inspiration for me is the panic room in The Honourable Woman television series. Maybe some industry experts can chime in here.

If you’re doing this in your basement then make sure the exterior around your house has French drains and that you use a nice quality moistures barrier underneath your concrete floor. I’d also have the HVAC/electrical run through the floor and make it independent of the rest of the house system. Additionally make sure it is all reinforced concrete (rebar and fiber mesh). I know in some states/ circumstances you don’t need rebar for basement, but I encourage you to add it. Use a quality door which may cost some extra money but still do it. Make sure there is proper moisture control throughout your property and try to make the room as simple as possible so that you can minimize points of failure.