Can be locked

Anyone ever feel super discouraged when they buy a PSA 10 graded card and it clearly isn’t a 10, especially when it’s one of your grail cards? Now I’m not talking about a little whitening or slight silvering, I’m talking about clear obvious flaws that leave you scratching your head and asking, why, how? This has happened to me three times now. The first time I stopped collecting for a bit, the second time I returned the item and continued my search and the third time its like, really? I know it’s just conjecture but it’s a 4xxxxxx serial number too so take that for what it is. The seller offers returns should I go that route or should I hold psa accountable? I would prefer to return the card and continue looking but what are some sellers/buyers thoughts on here about ebay returns on a 4 figure card.

I too have had issues like this except for PSA 9. Silvering all along the left edge on both of them. I never understood how they graded so high. I’ve just held on to them but it is disappointing when that happens.

I couldn’t reply in any serious way after this…

2 Likes

I can understand the frustration if you spent 4 figures and the grade doesn’t reflect the true quality of the card. But fact is PSA is run by humans and humans will make mistakes (and often times those mistakes can be frustrating), but dont take out the frustration on the seller, he didn’t grade the card. I would say if you are looking for some recourse that you should take it up with PSA for a regrade and refund if they truly misgraded the card!

on further inspection one of these marks appears to be similar to that found on dragoniar from base set only my mark is a yellow dot on the holofoil instead of red, if this doesnt or shouldnt effect the grade I understand but the other mark is confusing cant tell if its mold dirt water mark or something else.

Respectfully, I disagree with this being good advice. There may be rare exceptions, but I am sure in a vast majority of cases PSA will stand by the grade they gave the card. They’re not looking to pay out big money for every grade they miss.

Usually the best option here (other than returning the card, which can be very frustrating for sellers, but still) is selling the one you get and finding a new one.

2 Likes

I thought this thread was going to be about affording collection goals. Heck yeah I’m discouraged that capital is limited. Still down to find a way to pursue goals.

6 Likes

I put that in there cause some people think that 4xxxxxx mean pristine 10 lol, I personally dont care

1 Like

most definitely like scott said adjust goals etc, also the kobe bryant card you have is sick… now back to the discussion

2 Likes

I would be interested in seeing photos of the cards you believe to be misgraded. I have a couple of that I consider misgraded and high value. I’d sell and get a “nicer” copy, and definitely disclose the flaws if significant.

Usually I say, buy the grade, not the card. But in this case I’ll say, make up your mind and choose one. Buy a card and not the grade then. Maybe that card will end up being a perfect looking psa 9.

Could you not see these flaws in the pictures provided before purchase?

Normally a flaw to warrant it not being PSA 10 worthy is obvious with a few solid photos and angles.

“take it up with PSA for a regrade if they truly misgraded the card”

Yeah, fair enough. But unless there was like a glaringly obvious dent on the card or something that was somehow missed and they gave the card a high grade, I just don’t see it. Even that PSA 10 Scroll that sold recently (which had no right to be higher than a PSA 7-8 due to excessive whitening on the back) PSA would probably stand by it.

actually one of the marks is in the photo but it appears to be a holo mark (shame on me) the second I can see in person but not in the photo, and the card is otherwise clean, maybe these two marks are nothing maybe since its my grail I had higher expectations. I dont think the card is 2+ grades lower it’s one of those things that I can see clearly with my not perfect vision, So one of three things 1) they seen it and it doesnt knock it out of a 10 range, 2) they didnt see it, people make mistakes, 3) one mark is a printing defect while the other could be mold I guess which grew in the few days from sale to arrival?

I agree! I was just going off of OP’s statement of a “clear and obvious flaw” like a bend on the card or very severe holo scratches, for those cases I would believe PSA would regrade. But I would agree generally PSA wouldnt change the grade unless it was severe.

2 Likes

Last update, I may have overreacted, one of these marks looks very similar to the “red dot” on blastoise and dragonair only its yellow if those can get psa 10s I guess PSA doesnt consider them to be an issue, the other mark is either another similar defect or worse case the beginning of mold if its mold it should grow more in the next couple of days and ill go from there. Im used to collecting lower grades so I wasnt aware that these “dots” can be common with PSA 10s.