Called eBay to report a scammer; what now?

This morning, I woke up to a request opened by a buyer saying that he did not receiver a $5.99 card I sent him. I figured maybe I got lost in the mail, but then I checked his feedback and saw that he makes a habit of doing this. Multiple buyers left feedback saying to beware of him for this reason, and about 50 percent of the feedback he has left for other sellers is negative.

I called eBay to report this guy (I am NOT giving him a refund yet). The eBay rep asked for the person’s username and said they would do an investigation and that they would take it from here. They also told me that if he leaves negative feedback they would remove it.

However, I am not sure exactly what happens next. The eBay rep didn’t ask for my username or any of my information; he only asked about the buyer. Is this a normal course of events? Or am I basically going to have to call again because the rep didn’t get enough info?

I know it’s only a $5.99 item, but it’s the principle of the matter, as it seems pretty obvious that this guy is trying to get away with theft.

@mjs61290,

Did you call off the mobile number associated with your account ? perhaps they brought up your account already to see the transaction?

Yes I did. I just found it odd he didn’t even ask about the transaction ID or anything.

Post his username here so other sellers can block him

@emba juanfae1988

2 Likes

I sold a minty typhlosion 17 to this guy…he accepted a counter offer and took him 5 days to pay…i opened a case after 3. He waited until the very end to send over payment.

Thank god i added tracking. Looking through his feedback to others is scary. It’s been about 7 days since it was delivered and still has not left feedback for me.

I knew that username looked familiar. Dude has left more negative feedback than positive.

I think it’s good you called it in on principle. Maybe ebay will have him on their radar since it seems like he has a habit rather than coincidence going on. I’m sure it’ll help future sellers to this buyer

2 Likes

Yep. I actually called eBay again later that day and got a much better employee. I was on the phone with her for quite a bit, and while she told me there isn’t much they can do about the card because I shipped it without tracking, she said they will be looking into this guy and monitoring him over the next month to see if he tries to do this again.

@fourthstartcg, you may want to add this guy to the blacklist.

1 Like

@mjs61290 shoot me a pm with the case details. Screenshots of messages, resolution from eBay (if any) and the buyer’s feedback that says this is not an isolated incident. If all that checks out they’ll get listed.

2 Likes

@fourthstartcg Shot you a message.

1 Like

I am dealing a buyer by the same handle. Send them a laptop and now they are saying it runs hot or way too loud. He requested a refund, my gut tells me they are trying to scam. When you called eBay did you have any luck?

He definitely leaves a lot of negative feedback. But let’s not exaggerate. He leaves far more positive feedback than negative. (I counted around 200 positives and 50 negatives.)

He seems more like an extremely picky, impatient, and uncouth customer than a scammer.

Things might have changed in the nearly 2 years since Kira made that post

:blush:

4 Likes

Argh. You’re totally right. @kira, I owe you an apology.

Thanks for pointing out my error, @admiral

This is the second time this week that I’ve foolishly replied to an old thread that had been revived by a new member.

1 Like

You might want to read up on the forum rules about commenting on old posts.
3 … 2… 1… LOCK.

As it appears this person is dealing with the same user, it is fine to post in an old thread about it.

Also, if you suspect a post breaks the rules, alert a moderator by using the “report post” function. Mini-modding gets us nowhere.

1 Like

He is 110 percent a scammer. Or at least he was. He opened up item not received cases any time an item was shipped to him without tracking. Again, this was a long time ago, so I don’t know if things have changed, but tons of sellers left him feedback saying that he did this. Of course, it had to be positive feedback with a negative comment because sellers can’t leave buyers negative feedback, but it was definitely there. And I mean, let’s be honest: him leaving 50 negatives out of 250 feedbacks is a RIDICULOUS number even if it isn’t more negative than positive.

To answer @whollyguacamole , there was nothing eBay could do about it because the item I sent (it was like a cheap $5 card) didn’t have tracking. I’m honestly not sure what can be done in your case other than making sure he actually returns the item if he wants a refund. Just be sure not to antagonize him. It seems like the only people he leaves negatives for are the people who fight him on things. So just try to be as professional and calm as possible when dealing with him.

When I was a more naïve buyer on ebay, I didn’t vet cards very well which wasted a lot of my time and money. We all know how many ‘near mint psa 9?’ heavily played cards are posted on ebay. I used to give far more negative feedback compared to know where very few disappointing cards arrive in the mail and even fewer non peaceful resolutions that result in negative feed happen. I’d agree that it seems like someone that hasn’t really mastered how to most efficiently use ebay rather than a scammer.

No. It’s a scammer. Most of the negative feedbacks he was leaving back then was him taking advantage of cheap cards being sent without tracking. He would open up a request whenever someone would send a card without a tracking number. Tons of sellers were saying that in his feedback.

Again, this was a long, long time ago, so I’m just going off of what the case was back then. Not sure if things have changed.

I see, didn’t see your other response above mine.

1 Like