Buying raw cards on eBay to grade?

What’s up guys I’m currently trying
compete a set of non holos

Do you guys have any experience with this witu getting psa 9-10

most of the discription says pack fresh from a reputable seller

You need to take it card by card and view high res photos or scans. Even then it isn’t a perfect system as imperfections can be hidden.

With raw cards the market does not have any scale that is followed with any regularity. That is why grading is so valuable. I have bought “NM/MINT pack fresh” cards that look like they were run across sandpaper and were ungradable. I have bought “good” condition cards that scored 50% PSA 9 and 50% PSA 10. Even most single sellers will not be perfectly consistent across their own guidelines. Often times you will need to gamble when description or photo quality is lacking which it almost always is in one way or another. Bid and buy safely so that when you lose you lose small and when you win you win big. Tons of auctions end every day at crazy prices and I have yielded +50x or more grading raw cards several times and my worst losses are only a few percentage points here and there.

What sets are you looking for particularly? A buy thread on this forum could go a long way as if you specifically state that you are looking for Mint+ pack fresh cards everyone should be more on the same page with condition expectations. Be prepared to offer over what eBay “NM/MINT” sales go for though as they are completely different animals.

2 Likes

As @gottaketchumall said it’s a matter of you figuring out a process for picking and choosing, balancing risk etc. If you find it necessary to make a risky move just make sure you are covered financially if it falls through (Ebay/Paypal buyer protection). I usually say if you need a PSA 9 or 10 just buy it already graded. The difference between what you pay for the card raw and the card graded is the value of having virtually 0 risk.

1 Like

There are tons of beautiful, gem mint psa 10 condition ungraded cards on eBay. There’s also, literally, tons of gold in the earth. Unfortunately, there’s just way, way more of the other not-as-good stuff that you have to wade through and search among to find the good stuff. Speaking from experience, this can get very tiresome and frustrating. But if you’re willing to put in the work, the gem mint cards are out there.

1 Like

Im currently after non holo skyridge cards
there really isn’t many psa 10 on eBay for non holos

thwres a a ton of non graded ones for like $1.50-$2

Thanks guys for the thoughts the only reason I’m considering is
There is quite a few non graded non holo skyridges for very cheap bellow $3

Good luck! Skyridge cards are easier to grade. Most of these cards have excellent centerings, etc.

Some other certain sets, though, are more tricky :slightly_frowning_face:

edit: I didn’t mean that it was easier in general, just that it’s easier to grade if you can find ungraded gem-mint cards. Usually end up at PSA 10.

Skyridge is one that I don’t have too many extras of. I opened a box a while back, but after building my own set don’t have too many extras and it’d be really spotty. If it were any of the 1st edition WOTC sets I would have likely been able to hook you up with a MINT+ set for reasonable. Good luck in your searches.

Don’t forget that for non-holos, the biggest cost is not in the card, but absolutely in the grading costs and time. If you are not going for bulk, it’s going to cost you I believe 15$-18$ a card, which is ridiculously expensive. Even in bulk it’s 10$ usd per card. And if you use bulk you’re going to wait 1 month + for your card to come back, and the grade may not be to your liking. I bought so many cards for essentially free because all the cost went into sellers trying to get a PSA 10 but only got a PSA 8-9, and me scooping them up for essentially below the cost of them sending it to PSA.

Just value your time and money vs simply buying the cards graded by PSA. Almost always I would choose the PSA route.

Very true, but I think in this case there’s just not a ton of graded Skyridge cards out there at reasonable prices. It might make sense to buy raw mint cards and get them graded.

Really does feel e-reader is priced towards those finishing off full sets, rather that just individual pieces. Theres some decent prices to be found outside holos, but I’m just outside my budget atm.

good luck sifting through the sh*t on ebay lol. Joining the ton of other people reselling now…

skyridge is a tough one. just hard to locate.

i have my own set, and a few extras, but yeah, probably will never find a box now >.<

1 Like

That’s why it’s always worth the premium purchasing from your ebay store :wink:

So I’m curious guys does everyone just list cards on eBay and Near mint?

Does near mint still have chances to get psa 10 I know it’s different from card to card but i just pass up on so many NM cards

You should ignore 99% of ebay user’s condition comments. The only time you should trust the condition stated is when the seller has a rubric of what the different condition terms they’re using mean. (e.g., Near Mint means slight scratching, minor edgewear, but no creases/dents, etc.) This way the condition of the card is connected to the description that they’ve given. If you purchase a Near Mint card from the seller with the above rubric and it shows up with a crease, you will be able to easily return the item as not as described.

The thing you can trust the most is pictures. Sometimes that will require you to ask the seller to take additional pictures if they’re really dark or really blurry. If there’s any doubt in your mind about an edge or a corner or scratching and the seller isn’t willing to provide additional pics or inspect the card more thoroughly, don’t make the purchase.

1 Like

I would say 80% of the time NM on ebay are near mint and will get a 6-7, sometimes 8. ALWAYS look at all the pictures and never assume a stock photo will net you a mint card, you will be disappointed.

1 Like

Agree! Sellers who are confident with the card condition will definitely provide additional pictures (my experience so far) Also always have more faith (again not absolute) in pictures than description - I have seen ‘near-mint’ cards that range from say a PSA 6 - 9 condition!