"BuT 4 cErTs ArE bEtTeR tHaN 2"

What a time to be alive!

Damage to both front lower corners.

Dirt of some sort on the lower left.

Rest of the card is flawless…and doesn’t look tampered with?

2 Likes

People care more about the cert# and grade than the actual condition anyway. Great cert

That’s a solid psa 10 bro

5 Likes

Little bit of a newbie so forgive me but what’s the deal with cert numbers? Some people think older/newer 10s are “better”? Or they just like nice looking numbers?

Yea people have conspiracies about certain cert numbers starting with 2x or 4x etc, fact is PSA has some inconsistent grades regardless with what the cert number is. Just buy the card, and not the grade. If it is a 10, make sure it looks like a 10 to you.

2 Likes

10/10 Great Cert!

Card doesn’t matter when you get onto the 4 cert! Double the price of 2 cert.

/s

1 Like

“Dude, I want more cowbell. I need more cowbell.”

Could you blow those pics up even more lol.

4 Likes

Come on Gary, that meme is overplayed now. Anyone can see this damage even without zooming in or needing glasses.

2 Likes

There’s significant evidence that cards graded more recently (and numbered with certs starting in 4) are graded more harshly (i.e., that a newer PSA 10 is more likely to be nicer in comparison to an older PSA 10).

Some of the top collectors and sellers believe they see a difference; and there is in fact a lower proportion of 10s graded in the 4-series compared with the 2-series. (The data used for this comparison only go back to the tail end of the 2-series, and some believe the difference would be more pronounced if a representative sample of 2-series cards were included.)

That said, no one believes *every* 4-series card is nicer than *every* 2-series card—it’s just a general trend (and of course there are sometimes errors in grading anyway).

Also, be careful in bringing up this topic. Although it’s obviously fair game for a Pokémons card collecting forum, some people are triggered by it and get emotional or defensive when beliefs are questioned, arguments are presented, evidence is discussed, etc.

I´d be really interested to see your source of “significant evidence that cards graded more recently (…) are graded more harshly”.

3 Likes

error 4 cert. worth even more now

6 Likes

7l7l is a forum troll who beats this dead-horse argument nonstop, despite having every single argument refuted at every turn. Do not engage at all.

3 Likes

It’s actually cited in that very post (but not by name, so I don’t blame you for asking). PokémonFlyingMaster showed us that “there is in fact a lower proportion of 10s graded in the 4-series compared with the 2-series.” (But notably the “data used for this comparison only go back to the tail end of the 2-series, and some believe the difference would be more pronounced if a representative sample of 2-series cards were included.”). Furthermore, “some of the top collectors and sellers believe they see a difference.”

If you have any evidence to the contrary, please let me know. (Someone did try using data on Sun & Moon cards, but those are much more likely to be pack-fresh and literally made of different material, so that comparison is of little apparent utility.)

1 Like

People tend to grade their best condition cards first… in 2xxx…

3 Likes

Don’t you think during 2xx grading more cards submitted were also pack fresh therefor having more 10s? Now people are barely opening packs or finding gem 10s raw. I’m submitting cards I didn’t want to grade during 2x certs because they would only get 8s and 9s. With the price of 8s and 9s rising so much more people are grading lower quality cards that they wouldn’t have sent before.

4 Likes

That’s a potential explanation for the difference in the data (more pack-fresh cards submitted during the 2-series). But I’m not aware of any evidence in support.

I consider this to be an open question, so your idea is helpful and advances the conversation. (In contrast, some people believe so dogmatically that there’s no difference in grading standards or card quality that they’d insult you even for raising legitimate questions. What conclusive evidence they purport to rely on, I do not know.)

1 Like

What do you mean no evidence? Do you see as many packs/boxes being opened on YouTube as you did 2 years ago? C’mon man, you can’t be in that much denial. The cards are getting older as well, do you think as time goes by it gets easier to find raw mint cards?

Did you see people grading the cards from packs/boxes they opened back then? (not nearly as much, if at all)

You have a good idea, and maybe it can help explain the difference. But in terms of “evidence,” I’m simply observing that you’re not relying on data.

1 Like

Yes… psa submission/return videos are my favorite to watch.

Don’t engage. I can link you 5 threads where we’ve had the exact same discussion with this troll in good faith, but he still refuses to accept both data and testimonials from the largest submitters in the game. It’s not worth your time.

1 Like