BSG subgradings

I am wondering why does some card that are graded just get a number like 9.5. On the other hand, some card has breakdowns of the 4 factors. I’ve seen both and I am not sure why some cards have the breakdown and some dont.

Whoever submits his/her cards to BGS can request to have them graded without subgrades (the cost of the submission is much lower without subgrades).

3 Likes

To expand on this… What are people’s preference on this here? I never cared about sub-grades, I would have to do some research if it actually makes a difference in sales numbers. I probably could answer my own question with the black label but what about the other ones where everything hits a 10 except one (i.e. cornering 9.5)?

I would imagine subgrades give a premium on most cards. Imagine a card grades 8 with BGS. Did it grade 8 due to quad 8 subgrades or did it grade 8 because the surface was 8 and everything else was 9.5? Obviously one is wanted more than the other and the price difference will depend on the cards overall demand.

1 Like

Depends if you want to hide the flaws or not, if you own a BGS 9.5 with two 10’s you sure want those to be displayed in the label because you can ask for more when selling it. You can still check the subgrades online so idk if it makes much sense to hide them, it’s like you know there is something wrong with the card.

1 Like

I much prefer them, all of my BGS graded Pokemon cards have sub grades.

So far I have only graded my own cards with Beckett.

I haven’t sold any of them.

I haven’t really purchased a BGS graded Pokemon card.
If I do in the future I would probably prefer the newly purchased card had sub-grades.

1 Like

I like the subgrades, it gives insight on what the grader found right or wrong with the card.

1 Like