Bidding Strategy

Is this true? Shows how much bidding I do. When I used to use them it was unlimited, then they added a 1 min timer to try and get people to use their service. If they’ve gone to limiting their service I can’t image they’ll last as I know there’s other for free.

I pay for gixen. Its like $6 a year or something completely negligible for unlimited bids.

2 Likes

I should amend what I said to I doubt they’ll last as a free service. There’s obviously people that will pay.

1 Like

Do most people here use “sniping services” for auctions? I’m still fairly new and never heard of Gixen before today. Most auctions I take part in, I wait until the last 10 seconds to put my max bid, if I win, great; if I don’t, then oh well. Just gotta find the next one.

Is it highly recommended to use something like Gixen?

1 Like

Whatever works for you, I don’t do many aucitons anymore. When I did I couldn’t imagine not using a service. If I had ten auctions ending reletivly close to each other I would have hated timing everything. I definatly don’t have the time to sit around waiting for an auction now. It’s easier to just open the service put in the item number add my bid and see if I won the next day or so.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. So far, just using the method I highlighted in my initial post, I’ve lost a few auctions by literally getting outbid at the last second. But it looks like Gixen is most useful when there are multiple auctions ending at the same time, i.e. PWCC auctions. I’ll definitely have to read up more on it since the next PWCC auction just got posted today :wink:

I bought a house with my GF- it was up for bidding, we ended up winning with 163.420 :wink:

1 Like

I used to use Gixen years a go before eBay made it so it would auto bid for you if you just put in your max price, Then i didn’t really see the use of it.

Reading some of these posts i can see why it would be good to automate if you were bidding on lots of different things or using it for buying/selling (flipping)

Pretty much all my eBay bidding goes into my personal collection though as an investment so i enjoy waiting for an item to end and chucking my bid in within the last 5-10 seconds regardless if i am paying a new record price or not. If i definitely wanted something id put in a record price and either get it for cheap because i caught the others by surprise by bidding in the last 5 seconds or i’d get it for what i was willing to pay anyway. I intend to keep whatever i buy in my collection with the idea of future prices not being the same as today’s

If i was just trying to get something on the cheap i still wouldn’t put my max bid in until the last few seconds. If i did, someone could just put a bid of £1,000,000 on the same listing eBay would then basically tell them what my max bid is by placing there bid on par with my max. Then all they have to do is retract there bid under “i entered the wrong amount” and snipe me by submitting another bid slightly higher than what he knows is my max in the last few seconds.

I guess the best bidding strategy though is to pay more than anyone else is willing to :stuck_out_tongue:

It does indeed help sometimes:

Anyway, my strategy is usually to just bid a little above the previous when there is more than a day left. And bid the maximum I’m willing to pay (keeping in mind the additional shipping and import fees) if there is just a single day left.

Since a lot of auctions I bid on end in the middle of the night, I can’t really snipe anyway. And I tend to overpay for most items I want, so I only loose every so often haha. Usually for items I don’t really want for my collection but just bid on on impulse. :wink:

Greetz,
Quuador

2 Likes

Agreed on everything already mentioned. One other thing that I do is create a spread sheet for upcoming auctions like PWCC and find all the cards i’m interested in, then find all the recent sales of the cards I want, find the trend, an estimated fair market value, pick my highest offer price and go from there. When PWCC is ending auctions every 10 seconds for hours on end, it’s really easy to make some impulse buys that might not be in your best interest. Better beforehand to do your homework and not get caught up in last second bidding on cards you don’t need.

1 Like

The few I won I simply figured out what the card usually sells for and bid about 85 percent of what it normally sells for. This ended up having no one else compete to bid and i got the cards slightly cheaper the few times I did this. In general I just don’t have time to wait a week for a auction I could lose. Meanwhile all the other options in decent price range get sold out of go up in value while I’m concentrated on a stupid auction

I set out a maximum amount I’m willing to spend and snipe during the last 10 seconds. Always satisfied with the result.