Bgs 10 pristine or black label

Hey guys. I have a fascination for bgs 10 pristine and especially black label cards.

The definition for pristine is:
Flawless color, devoid of registration or focus imperfections. Perfect gloss, devoid of scratches and metallic print lines.” The BGS 10 Pristine grade is a full step above the BGS 9.5 Gem Mint grade, which Beckett describes as, “Centering: 50/50 one way, 55/45 the other on front. 60/40 or better on back.

The idea that cards can be graded higher than gem mint excites me as I love the idea of chasing perfect/near perfect cards. I just recently bought my first pristine card. What are you thoughts on bgs pristine cards? Just a fad or the real deal.

I’m also starting this thread as I would love to see your pristine or black label cards. Im sure theres some great ones in this forum. Also, if you wish you can post your strong 9.5s and we can discuss why it missed out on the pristine grade, in order to try and undertand if it really is luck of the draw or if the company is consistent in awarding the best grade to the best cards.

Thanks for reading :blush:

1 Like

I think there is interest for cards that are flawless, but BGS seems to have their issues (probably moreso than PSA), and consistency is very important, particularly with something such as a black label. This why you’ll continue hearing about buying the card, not the grade (as to judge it yourself)

You should take a look at this!
www.elitefourum.com/t/bgs-black-label-speculation-rumour/23488/1

Anyway, I think the concept is very nice, for the absolute best condition cards, and the eye appeal of the black label (with the subgrades).

Black Label?

i sleep zzZzz :sleeping:

6 Likes

Let’s say you wanted to buy a gold piece of jewelry. Here’s the price for the same piece at different purity levels:

95% pure gold = $30099% pure gold = $3,00099.999% pure gold = $50,000
The purity measuring device usually has an error rate within ± 2% but periodically is up to 15% wrong. Which do you buy?

4 Likes

I’ll take the BGS Pristine card over PSA 10 for any of my favorite card.

1 Like

That’s a really good analogy. I personally do not value black labels for the same reason. I guarantee that if you were to regrade a black label card over and over again it would only receive the same grade a handful of times. The black label is such a picky grade that it is impossible to consistently identify.

@sherotgc,

Here’s one I just happened to get out of the bank today because I’m going to California to show it Thursday. Not bad eh?

7 Likes

I’m sure I’m a minority, but I’m one of those people who likes to aim for the best of the best, so if the card doesn’t deviate too far from the label I say give me that black label for more. I also like symmetry so 4 10s is so much more appealing than 3 10s and a 9.5 (just like how 4 9.5s are more appealing than 3 9.5s and a 10). Ofc I have to want the card and be able to afford it so I have yet to have any black label to chase after :stuck_out_tongue: This is not just for Pokémon cards, it’s just how I work, lol.

1 Like

Is the centering the 9.5?

Yes @cman, the front centering.

It looks just so ever shifted to the right but is it within the 55/45?

Gorgeous card either way

It’s really close. Next time I visit Leonhart in Texas we’ll run over to Beckett and have that centering checked.

2 Likes

Oh, I know the feeling to some extend. Overall I don’t care too much about condition. I collect all Pikachus in all variations and languages, so finding a card period is already hard enough, let alone in NM+ condition. I prefer a heavy played or PSA-1 Pikachu over no Pikachu at all. I can’t be too picky about condition. In addition, I don’t really grade my very rare cards, because there is always a risk when sending it over the post. The only cards I’ve graded thus far I had duplicates of in my possession. I know the risk is very low of course, and 99.5% of the time nothing goes wrong. But I prefer an ungraded card over no card at all.

Anyway, back to topic, and the reason I quoted you. The Moltres WotC #21 Promo artwork is my favorite artwork of all existing cards. I therefore also collect that card in every variation, including sealed, PSA-10, and in some cases BGS. Halve a year ago I bought a bulk of roughly 40 each of Zapdos, Articuno, and Moltre sealed. I picked the best Moltres, and send in three to BGS, including a fourth corrected illustrator version. These were the results:

The 9.5 in the second picture is the corrected illustrator. As for the BGS-10 with 10/10/9.5/10 I was very happy with it when I heard the grade. Still, when I had the opportunity to buy this one below, I had to take it. There is something about the black label and 10/10/10/10. Especially for my favorite artwork of all existing Pokémon TCG cards. :blush: It’s (of course) POP-1, and I’m sure it will remain that way for quite a while. This English Moltres in BGS-10 is POP-3 in general, of which I own 2, so yeah…

Although the different is just 0.5 on edges, and both would be a strong PSA-10, I love the look of the Black Label BGS-10s. :blush:

PS: Here pictures of my entire Moltres collection.

Greetz,
Quuador

6 Likes

The idea that cards can be graded higher than gem mint excites me as I love the idea of chasing perfect/near perfect cards.

• As did I… Took 2 years before I found one that was worth the shot:

Keep at the hunt, but I’d find another one to supplement it or you’re going to be bored real quick.

As for if it’s worth the price for the grade? Absolutely. These cards are on a whole other level of clean… Having said that, I’d never pay for one lol. Not my jam, but always wanted a 10 Base Set Holo in my dream world. One of the few times that world intersected with this one :wink:

5 Likes