Best place to buy vintage cards?

Been a long time fan/collector of all things Pokemon, but I really want to start getting into investing in some high value cards (some for me personally, and some to maybe sell in the future). Where do y’all generally go if you’re looking for things like sealed/vintage product, maybe some graded Base Set cards etc? I have a general feeling that ebay prices can be (at least slightly) exaggerated due to an influx of new hype and content creators promoting it. Are there alternatives to Ebay that might be generally better? Thanks in advance!

Depends on a number of factors. If you’re looking for something specific, eBay (or creating a buying thread here) are going to be your best bets. Virbank Pokemart theoretically has a huge reach, but I have literally never succeeded in buying or trading for a specific card I was after on there. 99.9% of the members won’t have what you want and your post will almost immediately get buried.

However, if you’re just sort of after general pickups at a decent price, Virbank can be a good place to peruse sell threads. You can generally get sellers to go a little lower than eBay since they save on some fees and effort. Added benefits are that negotiating via PM is easy, and people are usually more forthcoming with condition and detailed pics. (“Mint” on eBay does not actually mean mint, but it occasionally does on VB.) Of course, you lose out on eBay’s buyer protection.

Regardless, though, sealed vintage product and graded Base cards are going to be expensive as fuck right now no matter where you get them. There isn’t really a place where you’re going to get a steal on that stuff.

2 Likes

Instagram as well if you’re looking for non-ebay places to b/s/t. Theoretically cheaper but potentially greater risk compared to ebay.

appreciate the insight. I did apply to join the Vibank FB group so at least i seem to be in the right direction. I just made an account here so I cant make a buy thread to my knowledge (also why im not being specific about what im looking for here since I dont want to ruffle feathers). Im looking for a combination of general stuff for investment AND specific stuff for personal collection. I realistically don’t feel gutsy enough to try something like instagram tho

Im definitely not looking for a steal on anything. I know the product is hot right now, and generally it just goes up anyway. What worries me on ebay is people upping their own bids with extra accounts and people generally needing to ask for more to cover fees etc

Ebay is your best bet, just gotta put in the time to find what you want at the right quality at the right price. Always ask for more pictures and if there are any dents or creases. And auctions and best offer listings are your best bet for getting a card at or under market value.

2 Likes

I would advise against Instagram, unless you can verify the person you’re dealing with has a substantial online presence elsewhere (here, Virbank Pokemart, eBay) and a solid reputation. Instagram isn’t intended as a commerce platform, and it’s pretty much impossible to have a reliable centralized list of trusted sellers. Maybe this is just me being cynical, but I think the overall nature of Instagram makes it more appealing to potential scammers.

1 Like

I agree 100%

eBay has worked for me wonderfully!

any other auctions that are worth while? How is the pwcc auction?

Dont usually deal with pwcc auctions as I dont buy graded cards. I definitely think pwcc auctions are more likely to sell higher as they get a lot of coverage and exposure so theres more people bidding and higher final prices.

1 Like

@krill ok. Not sure where the OP of this thread is from but I’ve noticed ebay.ca is far more limited in auctions. I guess a lot of sellers don’t want to ship to Canada which can make eBay a little tougher.

True, that does suck. I am speaking from the perspective of buying in the US as it definitely sucks for collectors outside of the US

1 Like

Yeah its an extra obstacle in an already difficult task when it comes to certain cards.

Right. I shoulda mentioned im in the US NYC/NJ area if there happen to be good places around there

@brofessorchaos,

Definitely take a look at TCGplayer.com

I get many, many cards from there. There is sealed product, raw, and graded cards. It’s about a 50/50 success rate between them and ebay regarding who has better prices. For cards under $25 TCGplayer all the way, with few exceptions. Then above those prices you just have to do comparisons. Look out for bad sellers on TCGplayer though. It’s not the same as ebay. Pictures are optional. Most don’t. Go for big reputable sellers. LP and better condition is what I do. I have been doing it for a long time so I know my sellers very well. But I just love their interface. Very nice. Just a year ago I got a NM Typhlosion (neo gen) from one of my favorite sellers–Supergames-- and it was PSA 9 or 10 worthy. Awesome stuff.