Badly scratched PSA cases

Hi

I’m a small collector and have a couple PSA 10s with badly scratched cases. I found the thread on here suggesting PlastX plastic polisher and even toothpaste as a way to remove scratches but neither seemed to help at all (toothpaste seemed to make it worse and create more scratches).

I don’t have an account with PSA so recasing them isn’t really an option. I’m just wondering will this affect the price greatly when trying to sell? The cards themselves are near on perfect but in the right light you can see some nasty scratches on the cases.

Sorry if this has already been answered, I had a good look through some threads but am kind of at a loss.

1 Like

If PlastX doesn’t work, your only other avenue would be to send for a recase or just sell as is.

1 Like

Psa account is free, why not sign up?

1 Like

I live in Australia so I figured by the time I paid insurance and import taxes (cards are over $1000) that it might end up several hundred dollars and a long wait time just for the two re casings. If I were to sell on ebay as is I would put in the description the cases are scratched, but was really just wondering if scratched cases would bring their value down significantly if at all?

I would suggest it would have a small affect the price, yes. Bear in mind when you’re selling a graded card you’re selling the case too. It is designed to be an aesthetically pleasing & protective window to the card, so scratches will affect that experience as a collector, especially if the plan is to display it. Be sure to disclose the damage to the case when you sell, if it’s a desirable, high value card then the price difference will likely be negligible at worst.

I’ve never had PlastX not work. How deep are these scratches?

1 Like

Agreed. If you have a PSA 9 1st ed Charizard, no one will care about the scratches if they are described at time of selling. If you have a card that may be less popular (or there are multiple for the same price online) I can certainly see the scratches providing a small decrease in value

Same. I wonder if OP needs to work on their technique or add a little more elbow grease.

Plastic x is meant for surface scratches and toothpaste is abrasive and can sometimes get out very light scuffs as well. Bare in mind if you are doing this to utilize a ficrofiber cloth because things such as a paper towel or other products can easily scratch what you are trying to fix.If your scratches are deeper your only other option without sending to PSA is to wet sand the case with a high grit sandpaper. 800 and up should be safe. You want to work from 800 then go to a higher and higher grit until all scuffs are gone. The only downfall to this is that you are working with water as well and run risk of soaking the card. It works and I’ve down wet sanding on many projects from plastics to metal finishes. If this sounds like to much I’d send to PSA to reholder. I personally will have to do it some point as well since I have a mark on the inside one of my PSA cases that makes it look like the card is scratched yet can only tell it’s not in person when you see the scratch cast a shadow on the card.

You can try ‘Megular’s Scratch x2.0’ from Super Cheap Auto as an alternative mate. I tried on camera with both a BGS and PSA graded slab and it worked wonders for me. It does take a couple of goes and I had to do another go off camera, but the cases do look pretty sweet. Approximately $23 AUD if your keen to give it ago.

I can link you the video via DM if you wish too.

Brasso works really well too. Not sure if it’s available in Australia but it’s in every hardware store here in the states.