Authenticating cards

Looking for help authenticating cards, specifically base,jungle,fossil and rocket sets.
Recently started collecting again (lost every card I owned years ago in a house move) and a lot of it has been from eBay.
Definitely got a couple dodgys in bundles but there are some I’m unsure of and I realise fakes are a lot more convincing now (to the untrained eye)
Can someone who is willing give me a msg please.
Thanks

Post some pictures

4 Likes

I just wanted a bit of a back and forth with someone who has experience.

The ‘light test’ has been throwing me off with a few, is this a viable method for checking cards?

Thanks

Post pictures or grade.

4 Likes

Certainly not for grading.
A few randoms that I’m unsure of and some I am sure of thrown in to mix it up.

imgur.com/a/2M5L9rf

They are back then front for some reason but in order.

They all seem to be real from the pictures.

1 Like

Most of these there ain’t a market to make high-end fakes for, that said they’re all good to go. Nice PR gyarados.

Thank you, I think it’s the ‘ light test’ that’s throwing me off.
Is it even a legitimate way of checking cards?

Real

2 Likes

Just like there can be some slight differences in color/shade with real cards. There can also be some slight differences with the printing paper itself. Also, cards aren’t all printed at the same facilities.

Also keep in mind that comparing a light test of a Holofoil Rare and a non-Holo card will obviously differ, due to the additional holofoil layer that is present, and because printing on holofoil requires different printer settings and therefore ink thickness.

In my experience the light test is a pretty good way to compare real with fake cards, where the fake cards will let through a lot more light, if you can’t immediately say so from the look of the card.

I don’t see anything wrong with any of the pictures, so I’m pretty sure all your cards are real. But if one let’s through A LOT more light than the other cards for example, it’s plausible we’re wrong and it’s a very convincing fake. But if the light test difference between multiple non-Holo cards only varies very slightly, they’re most likely all real, as expected based on the pictures.

Do you perhaps own any non-Holo Japanese cards? Those will let through more light than English cards because the printing cardboard used is ever so slightly thinner. If your English cards let through less light than the Japanese non-Holo, they’re real. If they let through an equal amount of light, they’re probably still real. If they let through (a lot) less light than the Japanese non-Holo card, it’s probably fake after all. Although one of the most convincing fakes I’ve ever seen in that case.

Anyway, long story short: I’m 99% sure they’re real based on the pictures, and the light test differences you’re talking about are very minor, or caused by Holofoil vs non-Holo.

Greetz,
Quuador

Legit