Artist Collectors of e4 - General Thread

@mathonsunday . They do have some fun card art. I am working on Komiya binder. I started with what I had. Lucky for me what I had was most of the two ends early and later sets. The middle stuff is really cheep, mostly commons and uncommon. I do agree with @cyberurchin doing the binder as a long term goal is really nice and nothing matches the pleasure of just opening the binder and looking at all that great art! I will recommend if you do a larger artist collection, I like the 12 page binders it really shows of the art !

1 Like

Yes! Planning on starting a Shibuzoh. collection myself soon (might take me a while before I get that alt art Galarian Moltres V though). I already have that Poliwag and it’s adorable!

1 Like

Newest Shibuzoh.

13 Likes

These full arts are so cool. Really like this artwork from Shibuzoh.

1 Like

So, I am doing a komiya collection, BUT I don’t do every card, as some are just too acid-fueled for me. Still, Komiya is surprisingly approachable because many of his cards are commons. It has been a very rewarding journey, and if you think you want to, I recommend you go for it. :slight_smile:

@cyberurchin @mathonsunday
I like the shading in a lot of Shibuzoh’s work, but sometimes, it’s not there for me. Still, some great stuff to be sure! (I actually like the more dynamic high-contrast pieces like Moltres more.)

6 Likes

Sometimes I look at Komiyas art and I’m like, “hmm, needs more acid”

11 Likes

That’s what Shinji Kanda is for :joy: When enough isn’t quite enough.

7 Likes

Our taste in Komiya’s might be flipped! Yesterday I organized my existing Komiya’s (all from SM onward) and checked out the history of Komiya cards. I prefer the ones with the most detailed backgrounds and where the Pokemon takes up a smaller portion of the artwork. For now I plan to go for a complete SM and onwards set since there are no rules and it seems like that’s the collection that will bring me the most joy.

My favorite Komiya’s in my collection:

10 Likes

Why did you share this card…I was putting off my Komiya binder to do other stuff; now I must get this card :laughing: That artwork is so cool and unique; luckily the card is cheap!

5 Likes

@camrok37 @mathonsunday LOVE that Porygon! Also, you’ve got this farfetch’d gem,
and @cyberurchin found more acid for you. Even Jynx is high on it:

4 Likes

Love it

1 Like

Got this majestic karp for my “Pokemon In Water” side collection. It’s also one of my favorite WOTC era Komiya’s

15 Likes

ezgif-4-0a6ad76ad1

11 Likes

One of the first known records of the sport that would become Magikarp Jump

2 Likes

Lol. nice! I gotta play those minigames again.

2 Likes

Shinya Komatsu anyone? So far a very reasonable and awesome artist to collect!

2 Likes

It’s interesting that 3 out of their 5 English cards are full arts. That makes them a pretty exciting artist to collect!

1 Like

They’ve got a great art style! Got 3 of their 5 cards already haha not even trying

1 Like

After spending more time with my artist binders vs. my other binders I decided I prefer binders that aren’t organized by artist. I plan to keep collecting cards from my favorite artists to add to my more thematic collections.

Komiya’s for my rainbow collection:

8 Likes

Picked up this beauty by Jerky for my Pokemon In Water collection. Might be one of the most impressive debut cards I’ve seen! They have some more cards that will be released in the upcoming English sets.

8 Likes