Artist Collectors of e4 - General Thread

This is a wonderful collection!
Loving that Pidgey art. She really knows how to portray pokemon that just “exist” in their world. We used to think that pokemon are cartoon monsters that are always connected to human characters/trainers but in her art it’s like they are just living through their everyday life.
PS:
Always liked how her Gengar looks like distorted shadow!

5 Likes

Sharing two artists with unique styles, Kyoko Umemoto and Suwama Chiaki. Umemoto mostly has Ukiyo-e/Woodcut vibes whereas Suwama frequently uses Nihonga-styled elements in the background; plants, water ripples, etc.

11 Likes

Got another Kusube art - that super depressive Cubone drawing.

8 Likes

Any Akira Egawa collectors here? Do you know if he/she has done the art for recent booster packs / US packaging? I was looking at Egawa art and it just jumped out at me…

2 Likes

First off, I don’t know if those are AKIRA EGAWA or not. I just wanted to share some of their art from the new One Piece TCG. It’s pretty great.

7 Likes

Good god, those are getting added. I don’t care they’re not TPI! :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Cubone is so :sob:

1 Like

I am currently working on my Kimura collection too, close to around halfway complete-ish haha. Excited to see others go after it! Your spreadsheet is very helpful btw!

1 Like

Does need a few new cards added to the list though since Chilling Reign

1 Like

In defense of all spreadsheet creators, it isn’t always easy to keep up with the immense amount of new cards in these huge recent sets. I think most of the spreadsheets here could use a litte updating tbh. But any collector can work with an outdated list as foundation, still,

Speaking of which, I promise I’ll get to updating my Komiya and Kusube lists withing the next three weeks. I just wish there would also be something to be updated in the Masago and Kusajima lists :')

6 Likes

Working on a complete Sekio collection right now! The art is just really soft/cute/charming/calming. The bonus is that most of the cards are modern commons/uncommons, so I picked up some in bulk bins at card shops and am filling the rest out via TCG Player (a bit of a shortcut, but I’m a bit eager to get back into collecting!).

Other artists that I really like are those that others also enjoy: Komiya, sowsow, Shinji Kanda (not a long list, but the Giratina alt art is bit out of my comfort zone for now :sweat_smile:). I have a few cards here and there from these artists, but I think Shibuzoh might be next up!

8 Likes

Those three are exactly the artists i’m collecting too :slight_smile: I was surprised how that giratina price has exploded and it’s a single reason that made me change my goals of sowsow and kanda collection to only new bulk additions (sowsow after gen 8 and kanda from the beginning), komiya i will still include all new cards and i’m hoping they stay affordable like the previous full arts he has made. I’m still not very comfortable to change my long term collection goals but i was surprised how relatively easy it felt to drop such beautiful card from my list

4 Likes

Sekio!

:sparkling_heart:

Komiya, Shinji Kanda, sowsow … you have good taste! I currently collect Yuka Morii (clay), Asako Ito (crochet), Sekio, and sowsow. Sekio was the second collection I started - their work is so beautiful, like pages plucked straight out of a fairytale! I have a complete and up-to-date spreadsheet, should you be interested in such a thing.

Ugh. Now I want to start yet another illustrator collection…

Shibuzoh. is a good pick;

… or maybe OKACHEKE;

… or HYOGONOSUKE;

… or Sui and Komiya;

… or Teeziro;

… or Hataya;

or

ALL OF THEM!

:smiling_imp:

6 Likes

I actually started a side collection for some other artists i like but there’s no way i could start collecting them full time, i’m now choosing 9 cards (mostly bulk or something more expensive i already have) and make a section in a one of my binders for these artist collages, that way i have a nice example of many of my favourite artists and their best works without going deeper in collecting game :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sekio is wonderful!! I have a side collection for them whenever I run across one opening packs, I slide it in the binder.

Also side collecting Sowsow, Testuya Koizumi/Scav, Ooyama, Nishida, Komiya and Arita

4 Likes

Sui is also another one I had my eye on! And HYOGONOSUKE also has some great ones (that Hoothoot definitely caught my eye when it was released). I’m also quite partial to Sumiyoshi Kizuki’s arts, especially those with the bold outline. In other words… like you said, pretty much might as well collect all of them :sweat_smile::joy:

I guess side collections of some of these artists is a good description of what I’m doing so far–just collecting a few cards here and there for now.

But the filling-a-9-card-binder-face is a nice idea. I think I might adopt this for these little mini-collections.

5 Likes

Do any of y’all have this book? I highly recommend it if you don’t. Pretty cheap too. Goes extensively into a lot of art from the tcg and has quotes from the illustrators on their thoughts about their own work and how they feel about them! Not to mention a bunch of other fun stuff.

Great pickup for all the art appreciators on here!

10 Likes

Plus an awesome Arita artwork on the front. Can’t beat it! :wink:

2 Likes

I received the Illustration Collection book from my parents for Christmas this past year! I love flipping through it and seeing all the beautiful artwork and learning about the artists. One of my favorite parts is during Arita’s interview he mentioned that he got the idea for his firered leafgreen squirtle from the cover of a Nirvana album! It’s just fun book to flip through!

3 Likes

That collection book looks pretty awesome! I’ll probably look to pick it up sometime. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes