Are artist autographs worth collecting?

I don’t get why some fans want artist’s autograph. We’re fans of Pokemon, not fans of the artists who draw the artwork. I don’t care about the artist, who draws what.

Won’t buy autographed cards and won’t ever in the future.

The only autographs I want are those of my favorite singers.

3 Likes

Beautiful, less competition!

24 Likes

You can wrap your head around wanting an singer’s (artist’s) signature who makes songs (art) that you enjoy, but not why people would want signatures from people who create the art on cards that they enjoy?

21 Likes

Don’t feed the troll jonbo!

23 Likes

Speak for yourself.

18 Likes

I thought this was the unpopular opinions thread for a second when I saw his comment.

Without the artists or designers, there is no Pokémon. The art has to be done by someone.

2 Likes

I agree with @SeasidePokemon , you shouldn’t speak for others. There are quite a few people here that collect artist, myself included.

bait-thats-bait

11 Likes

Yes it’s my opinion so naturally I’m speaking for myself (and my family). So what gives?

That goes without saying. But a fan doesn’t need cards to be autographed, especially if it is meant to be a child’s plaything. So I actually support the artists’ decision not to sign cards at all.

No purpose of artists signing cards when they’re meant to be played.

When I post an opinion, I just speak my mind freely, without a care whether it would be the next crowd-pleaser or ignored.

You’re correct about one thing in your statement, fans don’t need their cards to be autographed. It’s a privilege and a scarce opportunity to meet the artist. It’s good that you respect their decision not to sign like any rational person would, but to say were fans of Pokémon and not the artist isn’t valid (Seems you know you don’t speak for everyone at least).

I will agree about Pokémon being meant for children ORIGINALLY, but you can’t be blind or ignorant to the fact that Pokémon is past that phase. Most children aren’t out there buying $400 premium collections and most don’t even know about or care about the Van Gogh Museum collaboration.

Also, the cards you state that should be played are also meant to be collected. If someone has a fascination with art and Pokémon, does it seem out of the realm of ordinary to want a card signed by someone you appreciate?

As for your opinion, I respect it. No one has to care about something that doesn’t interest them.

1 Like

Not for me. If I were to meet them, I wouldn’t know and won’t care.

Not my opinion, nor I agree with it. I was repeating that point to rub it in the face of those who stubbornly think that Pokemon cards should be a child’s plaything.

That part is my sentiment all along.

If I’m very obsessed with an artist (which I’m not), I still wouldn’t want his/her autograph on the card. Only if I have the original sketch/drawing, then it’s worthy and meaningful to have the artist’s autograph on it. My 2 cents

Correct, we established if you don’t care about them, then it’s fine. No one can force you to like a person or interest. Nothing wrong with that.

For your last part, you agree if you were obsessed with the artist you would only want their auto if you could get the sketch that usually goes with it. That’s a big reason why autos are popular to begin with. So it seems that you at least understand that part.

I think I wasn’t clear enough, that’s why you misunderstood.

Only the original drawing/painting. And only master level artist like Vincent Van Gogh and Picasso. Not TCG or comics artists.

Like for example, if Vincent Van Gogh signed on Starry Night painting.

Hope I’ve clarified.

That’s fair, everyone has their own taste in what they like to collect.

1 Like

What happens if I like the song and not the singer? hehe

I don’t want to get baited cause it feels like bait, but your question comes back to the original question… Why collect in the first place… or … Why do you want to collect? People want to collect what they enjoy and love, for example different artists have different flavors of art styles and people enjoy it. You enjoy a singer’s song and want their autograph on an album cover is no different than someone who enjoys Komiya’s art and wants their signature on their card.

Yeah that’s a right-minded conclusion. Not “pokebuffet is a troll”.

There are also others who don’t.

I didn’t start this thread. Moderator did, he separated my post from another thread to form a new thread.

You don’t have to answer any of my posts if you feel I’m “baiting”. I rather people ignore me than call names and hurl accusations, which I don’t go around doing that as everyone is entitled to their opinions and views.

I see I see

1 Like